Nevada State Route 304
|Interstate 80 Business, Front Street|
|Length:||3.788 mi (6.096 km)|
|Existed:||1976 – present|
|West end:||I‑80 in Battle Mountain|
|SR 305 in Battle Mountain|
|East end:||I‑80 in Battle Mountain|
State Route 304 (SR 304) is a state highway in Lander County, Nevada. The road is the main street through the town of Battle Mountain, and is also designated Interstate 80 Business. The highway was part of State Route 1 and U.S. Route 40 (US 40) prior to the mid-1970s.
SR 304 begins just west of the Interstate 80 (I-80) West Battle Mountain interchange northwest of downtown Battle Mountain. The route heads briefly passes through a portion of the Te-Moak Tribe Indian reservation as it turns southeast into the town. The highway parallels the Union Pacific Railroad right through the middle of the Battle Mountain business district. SR 304 has a junction with State Route 305, which connects to Austin, Nevada in southern Lander County, as well as State Route 806, providing access to mining districts north of the town. The route exits the town limits, crossing over the Reese River before turning south to reconnect to I-80 at the East Battle Mountain interchange and terminating just south of there.
Front Street in Battle Mountain was formerly part of State Route 1, a route designated with the creation of the Nevada State Highway System in 1917. The adoption of the U.S. Highway System in 1926 by the Bureau of Public Roads created US 40 in Nevada, which was also routed along Front Street through Battle Mountain. Both SR 1 and US 40 were shown on Nevada state maps as early as 1929.
The State Route 304 designation was applied to Front Street through Battle Mountain on July 1, 1976, in the renumbering of Nevada's state highways. In this process, Route 1 was removed from the state highway system. US 40 was also gone in Nevada, having mostly been replaced by the freeway that would become I-80.
|I‑80 – Lovelock, Elko|
|SR 305 (Broad Street) – Austin|
|SR 806 (North Reese Road) – North Battle Mountain|
|I‑80 – Lovelock, Elko|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Nevada Department of Transportation (January 2017). "State Maintained Highways of Nevada: Descriptions and Maps". Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Battle Mountain Area (PDF) (Map). Nevada Department of Transportation. 2005. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Google (29 July 2011). "Overview of SR 304" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- "Interstate Business Route 80". AARoads Interstate Guide. AARoads.com. 6 Nov 2005. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Statutes of the State of Nevada Passed at the Twenty-Eighth Session of the Legislature. Carson City, Nevada: State Printing Office. 1917. pp. 23–24. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Droz, Robert V. (28 Feb 2005). "US Highways in 1927". U.S. Highways: from US 1 to (US 830). Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Highway Map State of Nevada (Map). Nevada Department of Highways. 1929. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Nevada State Maintained Highways: Descriptions, Index and Maps. Nevada Department of Transportation. January 2001. p. 107.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nevada State Route 304.|