Nevada State Route 582
|Maintained by NDOT|
|Length:||16.688 mi (26.857 km)|
|Existed:||c.1991 – present|
|South end:||I‑515 / US 93 / US 95 in Henderson|
|I‑515 / US 93 / US 95 in Las Vegas|
|North end:||Eighth Street in Las Vegas|
State Route 582 (SR 582) is a major 16.688-mile (26.857 km) highway in the Las Vegas Valley. The highway is the former route of U.S. Route 93 (US 93) and US 95 before they were moved to the current freeway alignment shared with Interstate 515 (I-515). It connects Downtown Las Vegas with Henderson and (indirectly) Boulder City to the southeast. The highway is primarily known as Boulder Highway, but is named Fremont Street within the Las Vegas city limits.
Present-day SR 582 officially begins at I-515/US 93/US 95 interchange at Wagon Wheel Drive in Henderson, although the highway itself actually starts at the intersection of Boulder Highway and Wagon Wheel Drive just east of the interchange. From its southern terminus, SR 582 quickly transitions to an urban divided highway lined with businesses as it heads northwest through Henderson.
The portion of SR 582 between Tropicana Avenue (SR 593) and the I-515/US 93/US 95 freeway is sometimes referred to as the "Boulder Strip", playing off the more-famous Las Vegas Strip to the west. This section of Boulder Highway features a landscaped median and is adjacent to several local casinos, including Boulder Station Hotel and Casino and Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall.
North of the Boulder Strip area, SR 582 changes names from Boulder Highway to Fremont Street as it crosses the Las Vegas city limits at Sahara Avenue (SR 589). Just south of Charleston Boulevard (SR 159), Fremont Street transitions from divided highway to a multi-lane arterial. After the "Five-Points" intersection (with Charleston Boulevard and Eastern Avenue), the highway curves slightly more westward as it heads into downtown Las Vegas. SR 582 reaches its northern terminus at Eighth Street just east of downtown; the Fremont Street roadway itself extends a few blocks further to terminate at the intersection with Las Vegas Boulevard.
Boulder Highway was constructed in 1931, and carried SR 5 from 1932 to 1939. It later carried U.S. Routes 93, 95, and 466 from near Boulder City through Henderson and into downtown Las Vegas. The US 466 designation was later removed in 1971. During the late 1980s, Nevada DOT worked to extend the US 95/Oran K. Gragson Expressway southeast from downtown to Henderson. As portions of the freeway opened, the US 93 and US 95 designations were gradually relocated from Fremont Street and Boulder Highway, relegating the highway to state route status. In 1995, the freeway was completed to the Wagonwheel interchange and US 93 and US 95 had been completely removed from SR 582.
In downtown Las Vegas, Fremont Street originally extended further west to terminate at Main Street (former US 91, later SR 601). By September 1994, Fremont Street west of Las Vegas Boulevard was permanently closed to vehicular traffic to construct the Fremont Street Experience, an outdoor pedestrian mall and light show attraction. This section of SR 582 ceased to be maintained by Nevada DOT around this time.
In 2007, the city of Las Vegas completed the Fremont East district, a reconstruction of Fremont Street between Las Vegas Boulevard and Eighth Street designed to "stir memories of old Las Vegas" and promote active nightlife. Completion of this project pushed the northern terminus of SR 582 to Eighth Street.
The entire route is in Clark County.
|Henderson||0.0||0.0||I‑515 / US 93 / US 95||Southern terminus|
|4.2||6.8||SR 564 (Lake Mead Parkway)|
|6.6||10.6||SR 562 (Sunset Road)|
|Whitney||9.9||15.9||SR 593 (Tropicana Avenue)|
|11.0||17.7||SR 612 (Nellis Boulevard)|
|11.2||18.0||SR 592 (Flamingo Road)|
|Las Vegas||13.2||21.2||I‑515 / US 93 / US 95|
|14.1||22.7||SR 589 (Sahara Avenue)|
|15.3||24.6||SR 159 (Charleston Boulevard)|
|16.6||26.7||Eighth Street||Northern terminus; Fremont Street continues beyond SR 582 terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "State Maintained Highways of Nevada - Descriptions and Maps". Nevada Department of Transportation (Planning Division). January 2013. p. 33. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Google, Inc. "Nevada State Route 582". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Wagonwheel+Dr&daddr=NV-582+N+to:NV-582+N+to:Nevada+State+Route+582+to:Nevada+State+Route+582+to:Nevada+State+Route+582+to:Nevada+State+Route+582+to:Fremont+St+to:Fremont+St+to:Fremont+St&hl=en&ll=36.037995,-114.969864&spn=0.301494,0.676346&sll=36.005646,-114.929523&sspn=0.075405,0.169086&geocode=FVk9JQIdoT0m-Q%3BFQHsJQId4IMl-Q%3BFW1SJgIdyRAl-Q%3BFZfbJgIdeXYk-Q%3BFWgLJwId3UAk-Q%3BFecRJwIdJzkk-Q%3BFYhkJwIdRtwj-Q%3BFYGKJwIdXLEj-Q%3BFXe9JwIdgnYj-Q%3BFVDgJwIdLyUj-Q&mra=ls&t=m&z=11. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- Padgett, Sonya (March 27, 2008). "The Other Strip". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- Taylor, F. Andrew (2012-05-01). "Boulder Highway's name a remnant of dam plan". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Nevada Department of Highways (1932). 1932 Map of Nevada (Map). Cartography by Nevada Department of Highways. http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/1932HwyMapDuplexWeb.pdf. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Nevada Department of Highways (1939). 1939 Map of Nevada (Map). Cartography by Nevada Department of Highways. http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/1939HwyMapDuplexWeb.pdf. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Nevada Department of Highways (1951). 1951 Map of Nevada (Map). Cartography by Nevada Department of Highways. http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/1951HwyMapDuplexWeb.pdf. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Nevada Department of Highways (1970). 1970-71 Map of Nevada (Map). Cartography by Nevada Department of Highways. http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/1970-1971HwyMapDuplexWeb.pdf. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Nevada Department of Highways (1972). 1972 Map of Nevada (Map). Cartography by Nevada Department of Highways. http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/1972HwyMapDuplexWeb.pdf. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Nevada Department of Transportation (1985). 1985-86 Map of Nevada (Map). Cartography by Nevada Department of Transportation. http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/1985-1986HwyMapDuplexWeb.pdf. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Nevada Department of Transportation (1987). 1987-88 Map of Nevada (Map). Cartography by Nevada Department of Transportation. http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/1987-1988HwyMapDuplexWeb.pdf. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Nevada Department of Transportation (1991). 1991-92 Map of Nevada (Map). Cartography by Nevada Department of Transportation. http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/1991-1992HwyMapDuplexWeb.pdf. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Nevada Department of Transportation (1995). 1995-96 Map of Nevada (Map). Cartography by Nevada Department of Transportation. http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/1995-1996HwyMapDuplexWeb.pdf. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- "Fremont Street Experience – About Us". Fremont Street Experience. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- Hansel, Mark (2007-01-18). "New district is all about old Las Vegas". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved 2008-03-25.
- Nevada's State Maintained Highways: Descriptions, Index and Maps. Nevada Department of Transportation. 2007.