Nevada System of Higher Education
The Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) (formerly the University and Community College System of Nevada "UCCSN") was formed in 1968 to oversee all state-supported higher education in the U.S. state of Nevada. The name was changed in 2004. Two doctoral-granting research universities, one state college, four community colleges and one research institute comprise the System. About 105,000 students attend the degree-granting campuses. gher Education, voted to drop the name "Community" from both the Community College of Southern Nevada and Western Nevada Community College, effective July 1, 2007.
|Education in the United States|
| Education portal
United States portal
- Nevada State College, founded in 2002, is Nevada's newest four-year public college.
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas was the second four-year university in the state to be founded, initially as Nevada Southern University in 1957. Winning its autonomy in 1965, Nevada Southern was renamed UNLV in 1969 due to the need for better national recognition and partially for separation from the University of Nevada.
- University of Nevada, Reno is the oldest University in the state, established in 1874 as a land-grant institution. It is the flagship institution of the state and known as the University of Nevada. It is the only Tier 1 school in Nevada. Internationally, it is ranked among the world's top 500 universities.
- College of Southern Nevada, founded in 1971 as Clark County Community College and later renamed the Community College of Southern Nevada before gaining its current name, is the largest institution of higher education, public or private, in Nevada. It is also the third-largest community college in the United States.
- Great Basin College, previously known as Northern Nevada Community College, is a community college serving northeastern Nevada.
- Truckee Meadows Community College is a community college serving residents of Reno and the surrounding area.
- Western Nevada College, previously known as Western Nevada Community College, is a community college serving northwestern Nevada.
- Desert Research Institute is a heavily research-oriented institution focusing on atmospheric sciences and hydrologic science; graduate students may earn Master's degrees or Ph.D.s in those areas at DRI.
- Schoenmann, Joe (March 17, 2007). "A good sign for downtown". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Board of Regents" (PDF). Nevada System of Higher Education. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 25, 2009. Retrieved April 15, 2007.
- "UNLV Celebrating Fifty Years | UNLV History". University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "University of Nevada-Reno | Best College | US News". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Center for World-Class Universities of Shanghai Jiao Tong University (2011). "Academic Ranking of World Universities". Shanghai Ranking. Retrieved December 5, 2011.