Never (Heart song)
|Single by Heart|
|from the album Heart|
|Released||September 14, 1985 |
|Songwriter(s)||Connie (pseudonym for Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Sue Ennis)|
|Heart singles chronology|
"Never" is a song recorded by rock band Heart. It was written by Holly Knight, Gene Black and "Connie" ("Connie" is a combination of Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson and Sue Ennis.) It was released as the second single from the band's self-titled 1985 album Heart. The song is a rock song with an uplifting lyric to a person who has been discouraged by love. Like their previous single "What About Love", the music video for "Never" was placed in heavy rotation on MTV.
"Never" became Heart's biggest U.S. hit at the time, peaking at number four on the Billboard Hot 100. It marked the first time that Heart earned two consecutive top-ten hits, and also the first time a Heart album generated two top-ten singles.
The song's harmonic chorus highlights not only Ann Wilson's powerhouse vocal talent but also the vocal stamina of sister Nancy, who maintains a soprano harmony throughout the course of the song. This track was covered by Mandisa during the fifth season of American Idol. "Never" appeared as a selectable song on an episode of Don't Forget the Lyrics and performed by En Vogue.
"Never" and "Nothin' At All" both have alternate mixes (as featured on their music videos as well as the 7" single), and these mixes had also been pressed onto some early release runs of the "Heart" album, beit on LP, CD, or cassette. One may get a copy with both songs in their original mixes; both in their alternate mixes, or only one song in a different mix. Copies with serial No. SL-12410, for example, features the alternate mix for "Never", but the original mix for "Nothin' At All". Whereas the two different versions of "Nothin' At All" greatly differ from one another, the two mixes of "Never" are quite similar. Recently, the original album mix was featured on the "Essentials" Collection.
|Australian Singles Chart||48|
|Canadian Singles Chart||13|
|Irish Singles Chart||10|
|UK Singles Chart||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||4|
|U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart||2|
- http://www.heart-music.com/albums/album_detail.asp?album_id=517 Heart-Discography
- US Copyright registration numbers PA0000259654 and PA0000270932 retrieved via http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?PAGE=bbSearch
- "Heart - Never at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Results - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Jaclyn Ward. "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "HEART | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company". officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2016-11-09.
- Heart. "Heart - Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
|This 1980s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|