Never Have I Ever (TV series)
|Never Have I Ever|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||30|
|Production locations||Los Angeles, California|
|Running time||22–31 minutes|
NBCUniversal Television Distribution
|Original release||April 27, 2020 –|
Never Have I Ever is an American coming-of-age comedy-drama television series starring Maitreyi Ramakrishnan, created by Mindy Kaling and Lang Fisher. Though it takes place in the San Fernando Valley, the show is loosely based on Kaling's childhood experiences in the Boston area. It premiered on Netflix on April 27, 2020, and is about an Indian-American high school student dealing with the sudden death of her father. The series received generally favorable reviews.
The series has been described as a watershed moment for South Asian representation in Hollywood and has been praised for breaking South Asian stereotypes. On July 1, 2020, Netflix renewed the series for a second season, which premiered on July 15, 2021. Netflix renewed the series for a third season on August 19, 2021, which was released on August 12, 2022, and consists of 10 episodes, and a fourth and final season set to premiere in 2023.
The story centers around Devi Vishwakumar, a 15-year-old Indian-American Tamil girl from Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles. After her father, Mohan, dies suddenly, Devi loses the sensation in her legs. This happens due to the psychological trauma of the event and she is unable to walk for three months.
However, one day she miraculously recovers and stands on her legs, in an attempt to see her crush Paxton Hall-Yoshida. After having a socially horrible freshman year, she wishes to change her social status, but friends, family, and feelings do not make it easy for her.
The following year, she tries to deal with her grief, her identity, and school life. All this, while she also struggles with her relationship with her mother, Nalini. Devi also has to deal with her feelings for Paxton and Ben, after she cheats on both of them with each other. Adding to the mix is a new entrant in school, Aneesa Qureshi. The series follows Devi's daily chronicles dealing with all of this.
Cast and characters
- Maitreyi Ramakrishnan as Devi Vishwakumar, a 15-year-old high school sophomore who wants to improve her life, and harbours feelings for both Paxton Hall Yoshida and Ben Gross, Nirdesh’s ex. (She is based on the show's creator, Mindy Kaling).
- Poorna Jagannathan as Dr. Nalini Vishwakumar, a dermatologist and Devi's mother with whom she has a mixed relationship with.
- Richa Moorjani as Kamala Nandiwadal, Devi's cousin. She is staying with Devi's family while completing her PhD at Caltech. Kamala is currently dating Manish in the third season.
- Darren Barnet as Paxton Hall-Yoshida, a 16-year-old high school, later 18-year-old college freshman and Devi's crush, later love interest.
- Jaren Lewison as Benjamin "Ben" Gross, also a high school sophomore. Initially Devi's nemesis at school, he becomes a good friend for whom she has complicated feelings.
- John McEnroe as himself, the narrator of the series and Mohan's idol.
- Ramona Young as Eleanor Wong, one of Devi's best friends who has a passion for acting and struggles with the fact her mother is absent. (season 2-present; recurring season 1)
- Lee Rodriguez as Fabiola Torres, one of Devi's best friends, who struggles with her sexuality. Eve and Aneesa’s ex, currently dating Adisson. (season 2-present; recurring season 1)
- Niecy Nash as Dr. Jamie Ryan, Devi's therapist.
- Sendhil Ramamurthy as Mohan Vishwakumar, Devi's deceased father.
- Eddie Liu as Steve, Kamala's boyfriend. (season 1)
- Christina Kartchner as Eve Hjelm, Fabiola's love interest and later, girlfriend, but have broken up.
- Alexandra Billings as Jennifer Warner, the college counselor. (season 1, 2)
- Benjamin Norris as Trent Harrison, Paxton's friend, and later Eleanor's boyfriend.
- Dino Petrera as Jonah Sharpe, a boy who comes out as gay.
- Jae Suh Park as Joyce Wong, Eleanor's absentee mother. (season 1)
- Adam Shapiro as Mr. Lyle Shapiro, a history teacher.
- Cocoa Brown as Principal Grubbs.
- Martin Martinez as Oliver Martinez, Eleanor's boyfriend in season 1.
- Jack Seavor McDonald as Eric Perkins, an unpopular student and later, the captain of Sherman Oaks' robotics team.
- Lily D. Moore as Rebecca Hall-Yoshida, Paxton's sister who is interested in fashion design.
- Rushi Kota as Prashant, Kamala's ex-boyfriend, he was a date for an arranged marriage.
- Hanna Stein as Shira Liedman, a popular student and Ben's girlfriend in season 1.
- Angela Kinsey as Vivian Gross, Ben's mother (season 1).
- Michael Badalucco as Howard Gross, Ben's father. (season 1, 3)
- Donna Pieroni as Patty, Ben's housekeeper. (season 1, 3)
- Dana G. Vaughns as Marcus Jones, Paxton's friend.
- Aitana Rinab as Zoe Maytag, Shira's friend.
- Tyler Alvarez as Malcolm Stone, a former Disney actor and an elementary school friend who transfers to Sherman Oaks. (season 2)
- Utkarsh Ambudkar as Mr. Manish Kulkarni, an English teacher who is friends with Devi and also coaches the girls' soccer team. He is dating Devi’s cousin Kamala currently.
- P. J. Byrne as Evan Safstrom, a head research assistant at Caltech. (season 2)
- John Mawson as Dr. Elgin Peters, Nobel prize-winning scientist at Caltech. (season 2)
- Megan Suri as Aneesa Qureshi, a new Indian student at Sherman Oaks and Devi's new acquaintance. She was dating Ben and later has attraction to Fabiola who reciprocates. They breakup mutually after she sees Fabiola’s crush on Adisson. (season 2-present)
- Common as Dr. Chris Jackson, a dermatologist who works with Nalini and has an interest for Nalini. (season 2)
- Tohoru Masamune as Kevin Hall-Yoshida, Paxton's father. (season 2)
- Ranjita Chakravarty as Nirmala Vishwakumar, Mohan's mother, Nalini’s mother-in-law and Devi's paternal grandmother. (season 2-present)
- Clyde Kusatsu as Ted Yoshida, Paxton's paternal grandfather. (season 2)
- Helen Hong as Sharon Wong, Eleanor's stepmother. (season 2)
- Sarayu Blue as Rhyah, Nalini's new Indian friend and mother to Des. (season 3)
- Anirudh Pisharody as Nirdesh "Des", an Indian student who goes to an elite private school; Devi’s ex. (season 3)
- Markus Jorgensen as Boris Koslov, a Russian exchange student.
- Gilberto Ortiz as Alex Gomez, a young man interested in Fabiola.
- Chelly as Parvesh, Vishwakumar family friend.
- Peter James Smith as Mr. Chan, the orchestra teacher.
- Kikéy Castillo as Christina Harrison, Trent's mother.
- Atticus Shaffer as a young man who participates in model UN (as "Russia").
- Iqbal Theba as Aravind, Mohan's brother & Devi's Paternal Uncle.
- Mark Collier as Andy, Vishwakumars' neighbor.
- Adriyah Marie Young as Carley, Shira's friend.
- Andy Samberg as himself, the narrator for Ben Gross's thoughts in 2 episodes.
- Pragathi Guruprasad as Preethi's sister.
- Anjul Nigam as Raj, a pandit at the Ganesh Puja celebration.
- Gigi Hadid as herself, the narrator for Paxton Hall-Yoshida's thoughts in 1 episode.
- Pooja Kumar as Noor, Aneesa's mother.
- Andrew Tinpo Lee as Paul Wong, Eleanor's father
- Sunit Gupta as Karthik, Nalini's father, and Devi's maternal grandfather.
- K.T. Thangavelu as Charu, Nalini's mother, and Devi's maternal grandmother.
- Deacon Philippe as Parker
Maitreyi Ramakrishnan was cast after Mindy Kaling put out an open casting call and received over 15,000 responses. All the actors met at the first table read and no "chemistry reads" were done between characters.
Principal photography of season 1 began on July 14, 2019, with production wrapping up on October 31, 2019. Season 2 commenced on November 10, 2020, at the Universal Studios in Los Angeles and wrapped at the end of March 2021. Season 3 began filming on November 29, 2021 and wrapped on March 1, 2022. The trailer for Season 3 was released on July 27, 2022.
|1||10||April 27, 2020|
|2||10||July 15, 2021|
|3||10||August 12, 2022|
Season 1 (2020)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||1||"Pilot"||Tristram Shapeero||Mindy Kaling & Lang Fisher||April 27, 2020|
|After her father's death and being confined to a wheelchair for her freshman year, Devi becomes determined to have an exciting sophomore year. Devi also attends child therapy to cope and deal with her feelings. She pleads with best friends, Eleanor and Fabiola, to get boyfriends, too, so that the group becomes cool, doing many things such as dressing revealingly to impress her target. However, when she discovers that Eleanor has a boyfriend, she has a breakdown, throws her math textbook out the window, and asks classmate Paxton, who she has a crush on, if he would like to have sex with her, which surprisingly, Paxton accepts. Devi's cousin Kamala is told that her marriage is being arranged.|
|2||2||"... had sex with Paxton Hall-Yoshida"||Tristram Shapeero||Justin Noble||April 27, 2020|
|Devi refuses to talk to her therapist, Dr. Ryan about her father. While Eleanor and Fabiola think Devi is crazy when she mentions her plans to have sex with Paxton, Nalini decides to sell Mohan's motorcycle because she thinks it clutters the garage and the memory is painful. Meanwhile, Kamala feels conflicted about her arranged marriage and is coached by Nalini on what to say to the parents of her future husband. Devi leaves orchestra practice early to go to Paxton's house after triggering memories of the concert at which her father died; however, she leaves when she does not feel ready to have sex. Kamala meets with her secret boyfriend, Steve, and reluctantly breaks up with him due to her arranged marriage. After newfound confidence, Devi returns to Paxton's house to have sex until she runs into his sister and starts a conversation, much to Paxton's irritation; then he asks her to leave.|
|3||3||"... gotten drunk with the popular kids"||Linda Mendoza||Amina Munir||April 27, 2020|
|Paxton apologizes for getting mad at Devi, however he says that having sex probably isn't a good idea anymore. When Devi goes to clean her father'sold garden, she sees a coyote who then picks up her father's tennis ball. Devi believes this to be her father in a different form. In history class, Devi is delighted when Paxton asks her to be in his group but overhears him saying he asked her in order to achieve a good grade. Things are still awkward between Steve and Kamala. Eleanor and Fabiola team up with Ben and Eve, who Fabiola has a crush on. Fabiola then breaks up with her boyfriend and realizes she is a lesbian. She tries to talk to Eve, but earlier she cut Eve off being scared to face her new feelings. Devi invites herself to a party and sees Paxton flirting with Zoe; in response, she gets drunk. Now intoxicated, Devi sees a coyote at the party, and again thinking it is her dad, she talks to it. It attacks her on her arm, and Paxton takes her to the hospital. At the hospital, Paxton affirms that they are just friends, and he starts following her. When Nalini finds out that Devi got drunk, she gets angry at both Paxton and Devi for being irresponsible and then grounds Devi from leaving the house. Inspired by a Riverdale scene, Kamala reconciles with Steve.|
|4||4||"... felt super Indian"||Linda Mendoza||Mindy Kaling||April 27, 2020|
|At a Ganesh Puja celebration held at the high school, Devi's mother Nalini asks Devi to smooth-talk Ron, a college admissions advisor. Nalini also dreads talking with other Indian aunties because they take fake pity on her and endlessly brag. Devi talks to a friend Harish, now at Stanford, and he tells her that she should embrace her Indian roots, not mock them like they both did before. Ron asks Devi to use her father's death and her temporary paralysis as a story to get into college to stand out, but she refuses. While at the festival, Kamala meets Jaya Kuyavar who is ostracized due to refusing her arranged marriage and instead marrying a Muslim-American man whom she later divorced. She encourages Kamala to go ahead with her marriage to avoid being shunned as well. Later, Paxton compliments Devi on her outfit, further proving they are friends now.|
|5||5||"... started a nuclear war"||Kabir Akhtar||Chris Schleicher & Akshara Sekar||April 27, 2020|
|Fabiola gathers her family members to come out, but suddenly changes her mind, not feeling ready. Eleanor tells the group that her mom got a job on a cruise as an actress. Paxton tells Eleanor that her mother, Joyce, served them in a restaurant. Fabiola accompanies her there, where they see Joyce. Shocked and hurt, Eleanor runs out. Afterward, Fabiola comes out to Eleanor, who supports her. Devi joins Model UN to escape being locked at home, and fuels the lie that she and Paxton are sleeping together; another girl on the bus overhears her and spreads therumor. She and nemesis Ben join forces to get the members alcohol. However, Paxton gets mad when he hears the rumor.The next day, Devi turns against him in UN for accidentally revealing that she is sleeping with Paxton to the other members, and gets the members to stand alongside her. Paxton stops interacting with Devi.|
|6||6||"... been the loneliest boy in the world"||Kabir Akhtar||Aaron Geary & Ben Steiner||April 27, 2020|
|Ben returns home from Model UN to his mother leaving for a self-realization resort. Planning to see a game court-side with his girlfriend Shira and father, both cancel on him, so Ben gives the tickets to his housekeeper for her sons. Feeling lonely, he meets with a friend from an online forum (Reddit) who has bonded with him about old Rick and Morty cartoons, however, the person turns out to be a 50-year-old man. Ben sees Nalini about a pimple that has been growing, and after having a small breakdown of his loneliness, she invites him to dinner with her and the Vishwakumars. Initially upset with Ben coming over, Devi is pleasantly surprised when he does not expose her behavior at Model UN. Voiceover by Andy Samberg.|
|7||7||"... been a big, fat liar"||Anu Valia||Erica Oyama||April 27, 2020|
|Devi tries to make it up to Eleanor and Fabiola, who now spend some time with Jonah, another student struggling to come out. She visits Joyce at work and encourages her to talk to Eleanor. When Joyce does, they make up, however Devi feels Eleanor and Fabiola are replacing her with Jonah. She holds a sleepover to bond and everything seems to be going okay. Joyce comes to the school and watches Eleanor rehearse, but leaves midway through to return to Broadway after realizing acting is her true passion. Distraught, Eleanor quits the school play, and acting all together, dropping her colorful personality. Fabiola asks Devi to support Eleanor, but when Paxton texts Devi, she goes to his house instead to model for Paxton's sister, Rebecca.|
|8||8||"... pissed off everyone I know"||Anu Valia||Chris Schleicher||April 27, 2020|
|Eleanor and Fabiola decide to take a break from Devi, so she goes to see her therapist. She tells Devi that all the drama stems from the grief over her father is impacting her social life, so Devi decides she wants a new therapist after thinking this isn't helping her. Ben throws a party for his birthday, but Devi is still grounded. She stays home, studying, but then walks in on Kamala with Steve,. She blackmails Kamala into sneaking her to the party. A slightly drunk Ben and Devi have a nice conversation, but then he tries to kiss her, sending Devi away. Upon learning that a classmate ruined the punch, Devi sees Fabiola about to drink it and attempts to warn her, but accidentally spills the bowl of punch over her. Fabiola argues with her in front of the crowd and accidentally comes out. Eve, who overheard, arranges a date with her. After Devi falls into the pool trying to cool down from the argument, Paxton drives her home and kisses her. When Devi gets home, she has a small hallucination of her father.|
|9||9||"... had to be on my best behavior"||Tristram Shapeero||Matt Warburton||April 27, 2020|
|Kamala's potential husband meets with the family over lunch for the first time. Devi enters Kamala's room to place a present only to find that Steve is in there, waiting to rescue Kamala from her arranged marriage. At Devi's behest, Kamala talks with Steve to sort things out. Nalini walks in on them and reveals that she knew about the two as a couple. Paxton arrives to return Devi's dress from the party and accidentally reveals that Devi secretly attended Ben's party and that she and Paxton kissed. Nalini, enraged, yells at Paxton for "ruining" Devi's life. Devi's uncle reveals that Nalini is planning on moving them both to India. Devi gets in a fight with Nalini and refuses to move.|
|10||10||"... said I'm sorry"||Tristram Shapeero||Lang Fisher||April 27, 2020|
|Paxton avoids Devi following the incident with Nalini. Devi moves in with Ben so that she cannot be moved to India. Nalini visits her on Mohan's birthday and asks her to spread her father's ashes with her, but she refuses, thinking it is a ploy to whisk Devi away. Ben, concerned at her actions, enlists the help of Fabiola and Eleanor, and urges them that they're either friends or they're not. He tells them Devi desperately needs them but is too stubborn to admit it. They all rush over and reconcile their friendship. They encourage Devi to go, but she has no means of transportation, so Ben takes her to Malibu. Devi, Nalini, and Kamala spread Mohan's ashes and she agrees to move back in with them. Afterward, Devi finds Ben still waiting in his car to make sure she is okay; touched, she kisses Ben and he reciprocates. Meanwhile, Paxton, at his sister's urging to reconcile with Devi, leaves her a message while waiting at her front door as Devi returns.|
Season 2 (2021)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|11||1||"... been a playa"||Kabir Akhtar||Mindy Kaling||July 15, 2021|
|Devi and Ben are interrupted by Nalini who berates her for making out with him. After Devi and Nalini along with Kamala return home, Devi finds Paxton waiting outside her house. They agree to have a date at his house which leaves Devi indecisive about whether to date him or Ben. At Eleanor and Fabiola's behest she decides to break up with Ben but fails to do so and ends up dating him. However, she decides not to date Paxton after their first date goes awry. Despite this, she gets back together with him, meaning Devi is dating Ben and Paxton at the same time. Elsewhere, Kamala is enthusiastic about working under Dr. Elgin Peters, a prominent cytologist but gets frustrated after having to deal with his sexist assistant, Evan. Whilst planning to move to back to India, Nalini tries to sell her patient roster to Dr. Chris Jackson, a prominent but arrogant dermatologist. However, she coldly gets rebuffed.|
|12||2||"... thrown a rager"||Kabir Akhtar||Akshara Sekar||July 15, 2021|
|Devi plans to throw the ultimate party and invites only Paxton because of his fake ID, so he can bring alcohol. Eleanor accidentally invites Ben too, and they both find out that Devi is dating both of them. Paxton angrily leaves, and Devi follows him into the street, where Paxton gets hit by a car. Nalini has an eye-opening trip to India where she meets with her mother-in-law and decides to not move to India, meaning Devi has to face both Paxton and Ben at school.|
|13||3||"... opened a textbook"||Kim Nguyen||Erica Oyama||July 15, 2021|
|After the chaotic party, both Paxton and Ben avoid Devi. Paxton is shown with a broken arm, preventing him from participating in sports, which ends his entrance into college with a swimming scholarship. For revenge, he makes Devi do all of his homework until his sister and a visit to his grandfather convinces him to stop acting coldly towards, to which he then reconciles with Devi. Devi then tutors him, and Paxton passes an exam in the process. Voiceover by Gigi Hadid.|
|14||4||"... had an Indian frenemy"||Lena Khan||Amina Munir||July 15, 2021|
|Devi finds herself resenting the new Indian girl at school, Aneesa, but later, they have a sleepover, and Devi and Aneesa get acquainted. They sneak out in the night where they meet up with a few boys including Ben and Malcolm, Eleanor's crush. Devi gets a nose ring on a dare by Ben, who gets a tattoo, only later revealing that it isn't real, in revenge. The next morning when Nalini discovers Devi's nose ring, Aneesa covers for her. Kamala struggles to be respected and be treated as an equal at her lab.|
|15||5||"... ruined someone's life"||Maggie Carey||Aaron Geary & Ben Steiner||July 15, 2021|
|During a 24 hour relay, to boost her PE grade back to an A, Devi realizes Ben and Aneesa will be together the entire time. Paranoid, she constantly tries to keep them away from each other by forcing the other to run the relay lap. After she sees them going into Trent's tent assuming they will hook up, Devi spreads a rumor that Aneesa has anorexia. After seeing a distraught Aneesa and finding that she in fact does have anorexia and that she transferred to Sherman Oaks High School because of being humiliated for it, Devi leaves the relay feeling guilty about her actions though she doesn't confess to anyone. Meanwhile, Fabiola finds out that her mother and Eve will be at the same relay so she tries to keep them away from each other, fearing that her mother will be too weird for Eve's liking. However, after getting encouragement from Eve and finding out that they both like the movie Carol, Fabiola introduces them to each other. Fabiola's mother suggests then that Eve and Fabiola run for Cricket Queen & Queen for the school's upcoming winter dance.|
|16||6||"... betrayed a friend"||Lena Khan & Anu Valia||Marina Cockenberg & Vance Stringer||July 15, 2021|
|After spreading the rumor about Aneesa having anorexia, Devi desperately hopes not to get caught. However, when Aneesa reports the rumor to the principal, Aneesa and Devi are enlisted to investigate who spread the rumor. Devi frames Zoe and Shira for spreading the rumor, which gets them suspended in the process. Later, out of guilt, Devi confesses to starting the rumor about Aneesa which causes her to get suspended the next morning at school. An angry Paxton tells Devi that he failed his quiz and that she should've been there to help him. Enraged, Devi tells him that he needs to be a better student and that she has been suspended. Kamala meanwhile finds out that Evan has plagiarized her discovery and has credited everybody on his new article draft except for her. While attending a retirement party for her mentor, Dr. Morales, Nalini begins to bond with Chris. During the period that Shira and Zoe are suspended, Fabiola and Eve register to run for Cricket Queen & Queen.|
|17||7||"... begged for forgiveness"||Lena Khan||Dave King||July 15, 2021|
|During her suspension, Nalini grounds Devi and forces her to help Nirmala in her chores. When they have dinner that night, Ben visits Devi's house and tells her that Aneesa will transfer to another school. He implores Devi to apologize to Aneesa to prevent her from doing so. Unsure of how to do so, Devi enlists Eleanor and Fabiola to help her apologize. However, due to the upbeat tone of the apology, Aneesa rejects it and does not change her mind about leaving the school. After failing the first time, Devi returns to school a second time and delivers a more sincere apology to Aneesa, but finds out that her mother insists on transferring her. With Nalini's help, thanks to parenting advice from Chris, Devi gets Aneesa to stay and Nalini and Devi strengthen their bond in the process. Meanwhile, using advice she received from Devi and Setseg, a fellow scientist, Kamala puts her name on the article and stands up to Evan. Later, after praising Chris for his advice, Nalini shares a kiss with him.|
|18||8||"... been Daisy Buchanan"||Claire Scanlon||Asmita Paranjare & Christina Hjelm||July 15, 2021|
|After being told to prepare for a mock trial on whether or not Daisy Buchanan was responsible for the murder of Jay Gatsby, Devi teams up with Ben and Aneesa to prove Daisy's innocence in a mock trial. However, Ben and Aneesa's constant flirting tests Devi's vow to handle her emotions maturely. After seeking advice from Mr. Kulkarni, Devi manages to bear Ben and Aneesa flirting. Eventually, on the day of the mock trial, Fabiola notes that Daisy metaphorically killed Gatsby prior to the story and thus she wasn't innocent, winning the trial. Meanwhile, Devi alongside Fabiola find out that Malcolm is cheating on Eleanor and stage an intervention for her. However, Eleanor gets back with him and scorns her friends after Malcolm makes an excuse. Later, after taking a car ride from Paxton, Devi finds her mother making out with Chris in his car.|
|19||9||"... stalked my own mother"||Claire Scanlon||Chris Schleicher||July 15, 2021|
|Suspicious of Nalini, Devi prods her in an attempt to get details of her relationship with Chris. However, Nalini does not reveal anything about her relationship with him. That night, Devi takes Kamala to his house and they spy on Nalini and Chris having dinner. Devi falls off Chris's roof and accidentally drops her phone in his Jacuzzi, destroying the phone in the process. Nalini angrily scolds Devi and returns home with her and Kamala. At home, Devi berates Nalini for dating Chris soon after disposing of Mohan's ashes. However, Nirmala slaps Devi and tells her that it is her mom's decision and not hers. During counseling with her psychiatrist, Dr. Ryan, Devi comes to terms with her feelings and is diagnosed with psychosomatic weakness. Later, Nirmala helps Devi and Nalini reconcile and Nalini shows Devi a videotape of herself with Mohan deciding what Devi's name will be. Meanwhile, Malcolm breaks up with Eleanor causing her to seek her stepmother, Sharon's advice. Using it, Eleanor vows to spend time with people who don't ditch her and bonds with Sharon and her dad, eventually making up with Devi and Fabiola at the school play. Paxton, taking Devi's advice about not relying on her for having good grades, brings his grandfather to talk about his experiences in Japanese internment camps, for his extra credit assignment in Facing History. That night, Paxton sneaks into Devi's room to make out with her, but calls her "pal" after seeing the school play the next day.|
|20||10||"... been a perfect girl"||Lang Fisher||Lang Fisher||July 15, 2021|
|After encountering Paxton at the school play, Devi is unsure of their relationship status and asks for Eleanor and Fabiola's advice. With their recommendation, she asks Paxton to the winter dance although he rejects her. When Devi has an emotional breakdown in the bathroom, Ben, who saw Paxton's rejection, comes to console her. With his, Fabiola's and Eleanor's encouragement, Devi breaks up with Paxton. At the winter dance, Devi takes Eleanor as her date. When Eve asks where Fabiola is, they find out she is having an emotional meltdown and Devi and Eleanor console her. With their and Jonah's help, Fabiola learns to embrace herself as a lesbian and not try living up to other people's standards. Soon after, Eve and Fabiola are crowned as the school's first Cricket Queen & Queen; they share a dance and Fabiola tells Eve she loves her, which Eve reciprocates. After Trent asks Eleanor to dance, a lonely Devi decides to leave. At the last minute, Paxton appears; after telling Devi he's there as her boyfriend, they get back together and dance in front of an astonished crowd. When Ben reacts negatively, Eleanor apologizes for convincing Devi to date Paxton in the first place and assures Ben that Devi's feelings for him were real (to Ben's dismay). Meanwhile, Kamala flees her family's dinner with her future in-laws to sing karaoke with Mr. Kulkarni.|
Season 3 (2022)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|21||1||"...been slut-shamed"||Maggie Carey||Mindy Kaling||August 12, 2022|
|Devi and Paxton have now become an official couple much to the school's shock. However, after being slut-shamed in the girl's bathroom and given advice by Dr. Ryan, Devi realizes that being in a relationship will not solve all her problems. After a confrontation with Zoe, she realises that Paxton might not stay in a relationship with her if she doesn't have sex with him. After a conversation with Kamala, she realises she is not ready to lose her virginity and Paxton supports her as well. Meanwhile, following Kamala's departure from Prashant's engagement dinner, the latter decides it is best for them to break up, much to Devi's grandmother's dismay while Fabiola, realising that a long-distance relationship with Eve is taking a toll on her grades, decides to break up with her.|
|22||2||"...had my own troll"||Maggie Carey||Marina Cockenberg||August 12, 2022|
|Devi discovers that she has a troll who warns her about Paxton's intentions. After research, she realises her troll is one of Paxton's exes from the orchestra club, which ultimately leads Paxton to make peace with the girls he was involved with in the past, including Hayley. Aneesa realising that Ben may have underlying feelings for Devi impulsively kisses Fabiola after a game of soccer.|
|23||3||"...had a valentine"||Smriti Mundhra||Asmita Paranjape||August 12, 2022|
|On Valentine's Day, a compatibility test's results spark more drama than romance among the Sherman Oaks couples. Meanwhile, Nalini makes a new friend.|
|24||4||"...made someone jealous"||Smriti Mundhra||Akshara Sekar||August 12, 2022|
|Kamala invites Manish over for Navratri, to Pati's annoyance. Devi isn't thrilled about taking Rhyah's son to a house party, but she's in for a surprise.|
|25||5||"...been ghosted"||Kabir Akhtar||Gabe Liedman||August 12, 2022|
|A charity event gives Devi the chance to polish her rusty flirting skills. As awkward vibes between Fabiola and Aneesa lingers, Paxton offers advice.|
|26||6||"...had a breakdown"||Kabir Akhtar||Amina Munir||August 12, 2022|
|Chasing Ivy League dreams and his dad's approval, Ben ignores warning signs of burnout until the stress of his jam-packed workload builds up — literally.|
|27||7||"...cheated"||Kim Nguyen||Aaron Geary & Ben Steiner||August 12, 2022|
|Up against Des' team at a debate tournament, Devi takes her competitiveness too far. An opportunity arises for Eleanor. Pati explains herself to Kamala.|
|28||8||"...hooked up with my boyfriend"||Kim Nguyen||Christina Hjelm & Beth Appel||August 12, 2022|
|A game night gives Devi and Fab a chance for alone time with Des and Aneesa, but other guests throw the evening off course. An art tutor surprises Ben.|
|29||9||"...had an Indian boyfriend"||Erica Oyama||Erica Oyama||August 12, 2022|
|Watching Devi struggle with a painful memory, a nervous Rhyah orders Des to keep his distance. Paxton enlists Eleanor's help to break some news to Trent.|
|30||10||"...lived the dream"||Lang Fisher||Lang Fisher||August 12, 2022|
|Devi is accepted into Shrubland due to being "academically gifted." After much hesitation and a tour of the school, she decides to go. Disheartened Ben convinces her to not attend which Devi misinterprets it as jealousy. After attending Paxton's graduation, she realises that she doesn't need to travel far to fit in as she already does. After a heart-to-heart conversation with her mother, they both agree not to attend Shrubland. Afterwards, she visits Ben and shares a kiss with him as the bedroom doors close behind them.|
Season 4 (2023)
|Title||Directed by||Written by ||Original release date |
|35||5||TBA||TBA||Christina Hjelm & Carley Whitt||2023|
On Rotten Tomatoes, the first season holds an approval rating of 97% based on 58 reviews, with an average rating of 7.82/10 while the second season holds a 93% based on 30 reviews and an average rating of 8.30/10. The website's critical consensus for the first season reads, "Never Have I Ever's fresh take on the coming-of-age comedy is hilariously honest, sweetly smart, and likely to have viewers falling head over heels for charming newcomer Maitreyi Ramakrishnan" while the website's critical consensus for the second season reads, "Though Never Have I Ever's sophomore season at times suffers from tonal commitment issues, nuanced writing and an utterly charming cast make it easy to forgive and enjoy." On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 80 out of 100 based on 18 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Concerns have been raised about anti-Semitic depictions of Jewish characters. Meena Venkataramanan from Harvard Political Review notes that "The show’s anti-Semitism is exacerbated by [Devi's] academic rival's characterization as a Jewish caricature and the jokes his religion and wealth generate at his expense". Mira Fox from The Forward says "[Ben Gross is] a wildly rich nerdy suck-up, with an absent, workaholic Hollywood lawyer for a dad and negligent Jewish-Buddhist type for a mom. He falsely cries anti-Semitism when his classmates reject his (objectively terrible) idea for a class project. And he’s dating a painfully stereotypical Jewish American Princess named Shira, who he doesn’t even like, in order to raise his own social clout; Shira, he tells Devi, is dating him for his money." The show also received controversy over its portrayal over Indian Hindus, how Devi feels disconnected and uncomfortable with her religion and culture, even making fun of girls practicing Bollywood dancing.
At their Q2 report meeting in July 2020, Netflix reported the series had been viewed by 40 million households globally since its release.
- "Mindy Kaling's Netflix show "Never Have I Ever" a hit with critics, viewers". www.boston.com. Retrieved May 6, 2020.
- Shafer, Ellise (April 15, 2020). "TV News Roundup: Netflix Releases 'Never Have I Ever' Trailer (Watch)". Variety. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- "'Be that change': Maitreyi Ramakrishnan on starring in Mindy Kaling's new comedy". CBC. August 30, 2019. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Murphy, Chris (April 15, 2020). "Dear Gods, Meet Devi, a Young Mindy Kaling in Netflix's Never Have I Ever". Vulture. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- "Never Have I Ever: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 29, 2020.
- Kalita, S. Mitra. "6 ways 'Never Have I Ever' busts Asian stereotypes". CNN. Retrieved May 2, 2020.
- Aanika, Eragam (May 6, 2020). "What South Asian Youth Are Saying About Devi from "Never Have I Ever"". Teen Vogue. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
- Joshi, Tara (May 12, 2020). "'Beyond Bend It Like Beckham': why Never Have I Ever is a win for Asian representation on screen". The Guardian. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- Roots, Kimberly (July 1, 2020). "Never Have I Ever Renewed for Season 2 — Watch the Cast's Bangin' Celebration". TVLine. Retrieved July 1, 2020.
- Pedersen, Erik (June 10, 2021). "'Never Have I Ever' Season 2 Gets Netflix Premiere Date". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 10, 2021.
- Cordero, Rosy (August 19, 2021). "Mindy Kaling's 'Never Have I Ever' Renewed For Season 3 By Netflix". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 19, 2021.
- Amin, Arezou (May 8, 2022). "'Never Have I Ever' Season 3 Images Reveal Devi and Paxton Together at Last". Collider. Retrieved May 8, 2022.
- Gelman, Vlada (May 8, 2022). "Never Have I Ever Season 3 Gets Release Date at Netflix — View Photos". TVLine. Retrieved June 4, 2022.
- Puckett-Pope, Lauren (March 9, 2022). "'Never Have I Ever' Will Return For a Fourth And Final Season". ELLE. Retrieved May 21, 2022.
- White, Peter (March 8, 2022). "Mindy Kaling's 'Never Have I Ever' Renewed For Fourth & Final Season At Netflix". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 8, 2022.
- Maloney, Alli (April 3, 2020). "Meet the Cast of Netflix's "Never Have I Ever," Your Next Fave Teen Comedy". Teen Vogue. Retrieved April 22, 2020.
- Season 2, Episode 7 "... begged for forgiveness"
- "Who plays Paxton Hall-Yoshida in Never Have I Ever?". Poppbuzz. Retrieved May 5, 2020.
- "How old is Paxton from Never Have I Ever?". Poppbuz. Retrieved May 5, 2020.
- Petski, Denise (September 11, 2019). "John McEnroe To Narrate Netflix's Kaling/Fisher Comedy Series 'Never Have I Ever'". Deadline. Retrieved May 14, 2020.
- Petski, Denise (December 9, 2020). "'Never Have I Ever': 'American Vandal' Alum Tyler Alvarez Joins Season 2 As Recurring". Deadline. Retrieved June 19, 2021.
- Petski, Denise (December 18, 2020). "'Never Have I Ever': Utkarsh Ambudkar & P.J. Byrne Join Season 2 Of Mindy Kaling's Netflix Series". Deadline. Retrieved June 19, 2021.
- White, Peter (November 23, 2020). "Megan Suri Joins Season 2 Of Netflix's 'Never Have I Ever'". Deadline. Retrieved June 19, 2021.
- Petski, Denise (April 14, 2021). "Common Joins Season 2 Of Mindy Kaling's Netflix Series 'Never Have I Ever' As Recurring". Deadline. Retrieved June 19, 2021.
- "Anirudh Pisharody Joins 'Never Have I Ever' Season 3 as Recurring". January 20, 2022.
- Sunder, Gautam (April 29, 2020). "After 'Never Have I Ever', Pragathi Guruprasad has Hollywood firmly on her mind". The Hindu.
- Ivie, Devon (July 15, 2021). "Bully for Gigi Hadid, Who Replaced Chrissy Teigen in Never Have I Ever". Vulture.
- "Canadian teen nabs lead role in upcoming Mindy Kaling comedy for Netflix". CBC News.
- McHenry, Jackson (April 29, 2020). "Never Have I Ever's Two Heartthrobs Are Team Each Other". Vulture. Retrieved May 12, 2020.
- "Who Plays Ben On 'Never Have I Ever'? Meet Jaren Lewison, Star Of Mindy Kaling's New Netflix Show". YourTango. May 1, 2020. Retrieved May 26, 2020.
- "'Never Have I Ever' season 2 starts production, adds new character". Entertainment Weekly.
- "'Never Have I Ever' Season 3: Filming Start Date Revealed & What We Know So Far". What's on Netflix. November 18, 2021. Retrieved February 3, 2022.
- Adam Shapiro [@shappyshaps] (March 1, 2022). "Happy Season 3 wrap day to my fave students @neverhaveiever". Archived from the original on March 20, 2022 – via Instagram.
- Saindane, Simran (July 29, 2022). "Never Have I Ever Season 3 Netflix Release Date and Plot Info". Daily Research Plot. Retrieved July 29, 2022.
- "Never Have I Ever (2021-2022)". Writers Guild of America West. May 6, 2022. Retrieved June 4, 2022.
- "Never Have I Ever". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "Never Have I Ever". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "Never Have I Ever". Metacritic. Retrieved April 29, 2020.
- Venkataramanan, Meena (May 16, 2020). ""Never Have I Ever" Can Do Better". Harvard Political Review. Archived from the original on August 27, 2021. Retrieved March 9, 2022.
- Fox, Mira (May 8, 2020). "Mindy Kaling's hit teen comedy has a serious Jewish problem". The Forward. Archived from the original on November 26, 2021. Retrieved March 9, 2022.
- Patten, Dominic (July 16, 2020). "Netflix Reveals Strong Viewership Numbers For Mindy Kaling's 'Never Have I Ever' & Spike Lee's 'Da 5 Bloods' In Earnings Report". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 16, 2020.