|"Never Knew Love Like This Before"|
|Single by Stephanie Mills|
|from the album Sweet Sensation|
|Released||August 31, 1980|
|Length||5:30 (Album Edit) |
3:28 (Radio Edit)
|Label||20th Century-Fox Records|
|Stephanie Mills singles chronology|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2022)
"Never Knew Love Like This Before" is a 1980 song written and produced by songwriters James Mtume and Reggie Lucas for American R&B recording artist Stephanie Mills' fourth studio album Sweet Sensation (1980). According to Lucas' wife, Kay, the song was inspired by the birth of their baby daughter, Lisa.
The song became Mills' biggest hit on the US Billboard Pop Singles Chart, where it peaked at number six, outperforming her previously highest charting single, "What Cha' Gonna Do with My Lovin'", which peaked at number 22. The single was also successful on the R&B and Adult Contemporary charts, peaking at No. 12 and No. five, respectively. It was a bigger success in the UK where it peaked at number four.
The record won Best R&B Song and Best Female R&B Vocal Performance at the 1981 Grammy Awards, vanquishing competition that included Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Roberta Flack, and Minnie Riperton. The song gave the title to the fourth episode of the second season of FX American drama television series Pose; in the episode, it was performed in playback, in the episode's final number, by the character of Candy, portrayed by Angelica Ross.
- Howard King – drums
- Basil Fearington – bass
- James Mtume – keyboards
- Hubert Eaves III – keyboards
- Reggie Lucas – guitar
- Ed Moore – guitar
- James Mtume – percussion
- Ed Walsh – synthesizer programming
- Tawatha Agee, Gwen Guthrie, Brenda White King, James Mtume & Reggie Lucas – background vocals
- Gene Blanco – String and horn arrangements
- In 1999, French band Organiz' covered the song. The track reached on number five on French Singles Chart, and 6 on Belgian Singles Chart.
- Thomas Anders covered the song for his 1995 album Souled.
- In 2013, Jessie Ware covered the song for the soundtrack to the film I Give It a Year.
The Intro and Verse chords are [B E F#/A# D#m7 G#m7 C#m9 E/F#], cycling through the diatonic Circle of fifths in the key of B major. The Chorus section chords are [Emaj7 D#m7 C#m7 Emaj7 D#m7 C#m7 Emaj7 D#m7 C#sus4 C#7 E].
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||250,000^|
^ Shipments figures based on certification alone.
- "Kay Lucas on Twitter". Twitter. June 21, 2020. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "Never Knew Love Like This Before". IMDb. 9 July 2019.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 202. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Stephanie Mills – Never Knew Love Like This Before" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Stephanie Mills – Never Knew Love Like This Before" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 0288." RPM. Library and Archives Canada.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Never Knew Love Like This Before". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved July 31, 2019.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Stephanie Mills" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Stephanie Mills – Never Knew Love Like This Before" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Stephanie Mills – Never Knew Love Like This Before". Top 40 Singles.
- "South African Rock Lists Website SA Charts 1969 – 1989 Acts (M)". rock.co.za. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Stephanie Mills: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Stephanie Mills Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Stephanie Mills Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "Stephanie Mills Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Cash Box Top 100 Singles – Week ending November 8, 1980". Cash Box magazine. Retrieved 2020-10-29.
- "Jaaroverzichten 1980". Ultratop. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- "Songs from the Year 1980". Tsort.info. 2007-10-08. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Top 100-Jaaroverzicht van 1980". www.top40.nl. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- "Jaaroverzichten - Single 1980". www.dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- "Chart File". Record Mirror. London, England: Spotlight Publications. 21 March 1981. p. 37.
- "National Top 100 Singles for 1981". Kent Music Report. 4 January 1982. p. 7. Retrieved January 11, 2022 – via Imgur.
- "Top Selling Singles of 1981 | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. 1981-12-31. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Top 100 Year End Charts: 1980". Cashbox Magazine. Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- Steffen Hung. "Organiz' - I Never Knew Love Like This Before". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2022-08-09.
- Never Knew Love Like This Before, 2013-01-01, retrieved 2022-10-06
- "British single certifications – Stephanie Mills – Never Knew Love Like This Before". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved November 28, 2022.