Never Knew Love Like This Before
|"Never Knew Love Like This Before"|
|Single by Stephanie Mills|
|from the album Sweet Sensation|
|Released||August 31, 1980|
|Length||5:30 (album edit) |
3:28 (radio edit)
|Label||20th Century-Fox Records|
|Stephanie Mills singles chronology|
"Never Knew Love Like This Before" is a song written and produced by songwriters James Mtume and Reggie Lucas for American R&B recording artist Stephanie Mills' fourth studio album Sweet Sensation (1980).
The song became Mills' biggest hit on the US Billboard Pop Singles Chart, where it peaked at number 6, outperforming her previously highest charting single, "What Cha' Gonna Do with My Lovin'", which peaked at number 22. The single was also successful on the R&B and Adult Contemporary charts, peaking at No. 12 and No. 5, respectively. It was a bigger success in the UK where it peaked at number 4.
- Howard King – drums
- Basil Fearington – bass
- James Mtume – keyboards
- Hubert Eaves III – keyboards
- Reggie Lucas – guitar
- Ed Moore – guitar
- James Mtume – percussion
- Ed Walsh – synthesizer programming
- Tawatha Agee, Gwen Guthrie, Brenda White King, James Mtume, Reggie Lucas – background vocals
- Gene Blanco – String and horn arrangements
This section does not cite any sources. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A cover was created by Peter White on his album Groovin' (2016).
- Australian Chart Book (1970-1992) - David Kent, pp.202
- "Songs from the Year 1980". Tsort.info. 2007-10-08. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Never Knew Love Like This Before". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved July 31, 2019.
- NZ Music Charts, 8 February 1981
- "South African Rock Lists Website SA Charts 1969 – 1989 Acts (M)". Rock.co.za. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "All Music Positions". AllMusic. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Chart File". Record Mirror. London, England: Spotlight Publications. 21 March 1981. p. 37.
- Australian Chart Book (1970-1992) pp.202 - David Kent
- "Top Selling Singles of 1981 | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. 1981-12-31. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-14. Retrieved 2015-07-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Stephenson, Ken (2002). What to Listen for in Rock: A Stylistic Analysis, p.92. ISBN 978-0-300-09239-4.