Nevil Story Maskelyne
Mervyn Herbert Nevil Story Maskelyne
Portrait of Neville Story-Maskelyne taken by Henry Fox Talbot
|Died||20 May 1911 (aged 87)|
|Alma mater||Wadham College, Oxford|
|Known for||Meteorite classification|
|Spouse(s)||Thereza Mary Llewelyn|
|Awards||Wollaston Medal (1893)|
Fellow of Wadham
Educated at Wadham College, Oxford, Maskelyne taught mineralogy and chemistry at Oxford from 1851, before becoming a professor of mineralogy, 1856-95. He was Keeper of Minerals at the British Museum from 1857 to 1880. He was made an honorary Fellow of Wadham in 1873.
Maskelyne was also a pioneer of photography and an associate of Fox Talbot.
Nevil was the eldest son of Antony Mervin Reeve Story and Margaret Maskelyne, the daughter of the Astronomer Royal, Nevil Maskelyne. The family adopted the name of Maskelyne on Nevil's coming of age as they had inherited that family's estate at Basset Down in Wiltshire.
Nevil married Thereza Mary Llewelyn (1834 – 27 February 1926) on 29 June 1858.
Their daughter Mary married Hugh Oakeley Arnold-Forster on 29 July 1885, and Hugh and Mary's granddaughter Vanda Morton published Nevil's biography in 1987 (see references). Their daughter Thereza married Arthur William Rucker in 1892.
- A guide to the collection of minerals (1862)
- Mineralogical notes (1863)
- Index to the collection of minerals: with references to the table cases in which the species to which they belong are exhibited at the British Museum (1866)
- Mineralogical notices (1871)
- Crystallography: Treatise on the Morphology of Crystals (1895) (Kessinger Publishing January 2008 ISBN 0-548-82536-X)
- Maskelyne, Nevil Story (c. 1863). Catalogue of the Collection of Meteorites exhibited in the Mineral Department of the British Museum. London: Woodfall & Kinder.
- Vanda Morton : Oxford rebels : the life and friends of Nevil Story Maskelyne 1823–1911 : pioneer Oxford scientist, photographer and politician, 1987 ISBN 0-86299-456-X
- Works written by or about Nevil Story Maskelyne at Wikisource
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Nevil Story Maskelyne
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Ambrose Lethbridge Goddard
Sir Daniel Gooch
| Member of Parliament for Cricklade
1880 – 1892
With: Sir Daniel Gooch to 1885