|New York Mets|
August 14, 1984 |
|September 9, 2015, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
(through 2015 season)
|Runs batted in||1|
Nevin Robert Ashley (born August 14, 1984) is an American professional baseball catcher for the New York Mets organization of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previous played for the Milwaukee Brewers.
Tampa Bay Rays
Prior to playing professionally, he attended North Knox High School in Bicknell, Indiana and then Indiana State University. He was drafted in the sixth round of the 2006 amateur draft by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and began his professional career that year. With the Princeton Devil Rays in 2006, Ashley hit .333 with four home runs and 28 RBI in 47 games. The following year, with the Columbus Catfish, he hit .280 with 12 home runs, 60 RBI and 20 stolen bases - to date, all career highs. In 2008, Ashley hit .235 with four home runs and 26 RBI in 102 games with the Vero Beach Devil Rays. He split 2009 between the Charlotte Stone Crabs and Montgomery Biscuits, hitting a combined .230 with three home runs and 36 RBI. In 2010, he hit .249 with eight home runs and 47 RBI with the Biscuits and Durham Bulls. In 2011, he hit .263/.358/.384 with 8 HR and 48 RBI between Montgomery and Durham. In 2012, Ashley hit .271/.379/.458 with 6 HR and 18 RBI between Durham and the GCL Rays. Ashley elected free agency on November 2, 2012.
Cincinnati Reds/Pittsburgh Pirates
On November 22, 2012 Ashley signed a minor league deal with the Cincinnati Reds. He spent the entire 2013 season with the Louisville Bats, he finished batting .235 in 80 games with 6 home runs and 28 RBIs. On November 5, 2013, he became a free agent.
Ashley signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates on November 26, 2013. He spent the entire 2014 season with the Indianapolis Indians he finished batting .246 in 70 games with two home runs and 24 RBIs. On November 4, 2014, he became a free agent.
Ashley signed a minor league contract with the Milwaukee Brewers on January 5, 2015 with an invite to spring training. He was promoted to their major league roster on September 7, 2015. On September 9, 2015, he made his debut against the Miami Marlins hitting an RBI double off pitcher Tom Koehler in the top of the second inning with two outs in his first major league at-bat. The Marlins would beat the Brewers 5-2. On October 7, 2015, he was designated for assignment by the Brewers. He elected free agency on October 14, 2015 after he was outrighted to the Sky Sox.
He appeared in 12 games with the Brewers, batting .100 with one double and one RBI. In the minors with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox he hit .306 with 14 doubles, 8 home runs and 61 RBIs in 94 games.
New York Mets
- "BR Minors". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- Aderhold, Nathan (November 22, 2012). "Reds sign Burriss, Ashley, Stevens to minor-league deals". MLB Daily Dish.
- "Pirates sign Minor League catcher, reliever". Pittsburgh Pirates. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Milwaukee Brewers Sign Nevin Ashley". Reviewing The Brew. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "Brewers call up 31-year-old minor-league catcher Nevin Ashley". FOX Sports. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- "Brewers designate Nevin Ashley for assignment, claim RHP Guerra off waivers". FOX Sports. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "Mets sign catcher Ashley, invite seven to spring training". Metsblog.com. Retrieved January 15, 2016.