|Original author(s)||Christian Schabesberger|
|Initial release||September 15, 2015|
0.17.2 / September 11, 2019
|Available in||53 languages|
|Type||Media player (software)|
NewPipe is a free and open-source media player app that is most well-known as a YouTube client. It is only available in the F-Droid software repository (or as a direct APK download from the GitHub repository) and is therefore only installable on Android devices. It can be used as an alternative to the official YouTube app.
- Search and play YouTube videos (since 0.3)
- Download Videos and Audio (since 0.3)
- Play only the audio of a video (since 0.4.1)
- Show similar videos (since 0.6)
- Support for displaying YouTube Channels (since 0.8.5)
- A pop-up player (since 0.8.12), (resizeable since 0.9.5)
- Channel subscriptions via RSS (since 0.10.0)
- Support for displaying sites like the "Trending" section of YouTube (since 0.11.0)
- SoundCloud support (since 0.11.5)
- Local playlists and subtitles (since 0.12.0)
- YouTube livestreaming and ex/import of subscriptions (since 0.13.0)
NewPipe does not use the official YouTube API, but instead scrapes the website for video and meta-data (such as likes, dislikes, and views). This is done intentionally to decrease the amount of data shared with Google. The web-scraping tool is called the NewPipe-Extractor and is a stand-alone project. It is also used in the free and open-source app SkyTube.
In newer versions of the app, the Extractor supports both YouTube and SoundCloud, and there are plans to extend it to more platforms.
Because of the way NewPipe accesses YouTube without using the API or displaying advertisements, it would be in conflict with the Google terms of service if it were available on the Google Play Store.
- Čihař, Michal. "NewPipe". Hosted Weblate. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- "NewPipe". F-Droid. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "YouTube Alternatives for Android". AlternativeTo. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Diener, Derrik (5 March 2016). "New Pipe: An Open Source Take on an Android YouTube App". Make Tech Easier.
- "How To Play YouTube in Background on Android Using NewPipe App". DailyWoke. 16 October 2017.
- Schabesberger, Christian (March 2018). "About NewPipe". NewPipe. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Schabesberger, Christian. "TeamNewPipe/NewPipe Releases". Retrieved 18 June 2018 – via GitHub.
- Schabesberger, Christian. "TeamNewPipe/NewPipeExtractor". Retrieved 19 June 2018 – via GitHub.
- "ram-on/SkyTube". Retrieved 19 June 2018 – via GitHub.
- Torres, J. C. (20 July 2017). "NewPipe – YouTube Android app with more controls and no Google". SlashGear. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- "Legal question · Issue #969 · TeamNewPipe/NewPipe". GitHub. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to NewPipe.|