NewSchool of Architecture and Design
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|President||Marvin J. Malecha|
San Diego, California, U.S.|
NewSchool of Architecture & Design (NewSchool) is a for-profit college located in downtown San Diego offering degrees in the fields of architecture and design. NewSchool comprises two schools: The School of Architecture and Construction Management houses the undergraduate and graduate architecture and construction management programs while the Domus Academy School of Design at NewSchool offers undergraduate design degrees. NewSchool is part of Laureate Education, which operates an international network of accredited campus-based and online universities.
The late Richard Welsh founded NewSchool of Architecture in 1980. NewSchool was primarily focused on architecture and construction management undergraduate and graduate degree programs until 2008 when NewSchool was acquired by Laureate Education Inc. Laureate's global network of design schools helped form a strong collaboration between NewSchool and Domus Academy School of Design in Milan, Italy. The collaboration lead to the creation of the Domus Academy School of Design at NewSchool which introduced several new design degrees including Interior Architecture & Design, Product Design, Design Studies and Media Design. In 2016, the schools partnered to launch a Global Design degree where students study two years in Milan and two years in San Diego.
- Bachelor of Architecture, First Professional Degree: The Bachelor of Architecture degree program prepares students for an internship in an architectural firm and for eventual licensing as an architect. This degree program is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) and is typically completed in five academic years of full-time study.
- Bachelor of Arts in Architecture: The Bachelor of Arts in Architecture program prepares students to enter a Master of Architecture program or pursue other professional degrees. The program emphasizes the foundations of design from technical and aesthetic perspectives. The program is typically completed in four academic years of full-time study.
- Master of Architecture, First Professional Degree: The Master of Architecture degree program leads to a first professional degree and is fully accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB). Admission to the program requires a baccalaureate degree in any field. The program is typically completed in two to three academic years of full-time study.
- Master of Architectural Studies: The Master of Architectural Studies degree program is designed for students who want to pursue a career in teaching architecture. The program provides students with a deeper understanding of design principles and theory is for students who do not plan to pursue architectural licensing. Admission to the program requires a baccalaureate degree in any field. The program is typically completed in one academic year of full-time study.
- Master of Science in Architecture: The Master of Science in Architecture degree program is intended for students who are interested in a focused architectural research in Neuroscience for Architecture or Healthy Urbanism. The program is typically completed in one academic years of full-time study.
- Master of Architecture - IPAL: Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure: NewSchool is one of only 13 charter member schools in the nation offering a 4-year accredited program that can make it possible for students to earn their architectural licensure upon graduation.
Construction Management programs
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management: The Bachelor of Science in Construction Management degree program is based on an interdisciplinary curriculum of science, architecture and engineering. The program is typically completed in four years of full-time study. Student teams have won first place in the Associated Schools of Construction Competition (ASC) in Reno in 2013, 2015 and 2016.
- Master of Construction Management: The Master of Construction Management degree program emphasizes business management skills and the integration of construction technology with management, business planning, and professional ethics. The program can be completed in one year of full-time study, depending on individual progress.
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Bachelor of Interior Architecture & Design: The Bachelor of Interior Design degree program emphasizes the design of functional and beautiful spaces that fulfill human expectations while incorporating evolving technology and sustainability. The program imparts a global design perspective; interdisciplinary, integrative practice; and sustainable, socially-responsible design practices.
- Bachelor of Arts in Product Design: The Bachelor of Arts in Product Design degree program includes the study of complex and interactive objects as well as product-service systems and experiences. Students develop a foundation in prototyping, manufacturing, and materials selections that culminates in a final year product design project.
- Bachelor of Science in Media Design: The Bachelor of Science in Media Design explores the principles, technology and practical applications needed to produce creative graphic design solutions. NewSchool students have won six ADDY's from the American Advertising Federation including a Silver National ADDY Award in 2016.
- Bachelor of Arts in Design Studies: The Bachelor of Arts in Design Studies degree program prepares students for a wider range of careers related to design. Students learn how leverage, exploit, and manage the innovative value of design.
NewSchool of Architecture & Design (NewSchool) campus is 100,000 square feet (9,300 m2) and is located in the East Village in downtown San Diego. The main building is on F Street and Park Boulevard. Faculty and staff occupy the buildings on G Street and Park Boulevard.
Programmatic Accreditation: National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB)
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Master of Architecture
- Student body size: over 600 current students
- Male students: 65%
- Female students: 35%
- Students pursuing a bachelor's degree: 61%
- Students pursuing a master's degree: 39%
- Faculty size: 75
- "Newschool of Architecture and Design". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Laureate Education buys two U.S. colleges". Baltimore Business Journal. July 16, 2008. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "WASC Accreditation: Newschool of Architecture and Design".
- Media related to NewSchool of Architecture and Design at Wikimedia Commons
- NewSchool of Architecture and Design (Official Site)