NewSchool of Architecture and Design
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|President||Marvin J. Malecha|
NewSchool of Architecture & Design (NewSchool) is a private for-profit college in San Diego that focuses on architecture and design. NewSchool comprises two schools: The School of Architecture and Construction Management houses the undergraduate and graduate architecture and construction management programs while the School of Design at NewSchool offers undergraduate design degrees. NewSchool is part of Laureate Education, which operates an international network of accredited campus-based and online universities.
The late Richard Welsh founded NewSchool of Architecture in 1980. NewSchool was primarily focused on architecture and construction management undergraduate and graduate degree programs until 2008 when NewSchool was acquired by Laureate Education Inc. Laureate's global network of design schools helped form a strong collaboration between NewSchool and Domus Academy School of Design in Milan, Italy. The collaboration lead to the creation of the Domus Academy School of Design at NewSchool which introduced several new design degrees including Interior Architecture & Design, Product Design, Design Studies and Media Design. In 2016, the schools partnered to launch a Global Design degree where students study two years in Milan and two years in San Diego.
- Bachelor of Architecture, First Professional Degree: The Bachelor of Architecture degree program prepares students for an internship in an architectural firm and for eventual licensing as an architect. This degree program is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) and is typically completed in five academic years of full-time study.
- Bachelor of Arts in Architecture: The Bachelor of Arts in Architecture program prepares students to enter a Master of Architecture program or pursue other professional degrees. The program emphasizes the foundations of design from technical and aesthetic perspectives. The program is typically completed in four academic years of full-time study.
- Master of Architecture, First Professional Degree: The Master of Architecture degree program leads to a first professional degree and is fully accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB). Admission to the program requires a baccalaureate degree in any field. The program is typically completed in two to three academic years of full-time study.
- Master of Architectural Studies: The Master of Architectural Studies degree program is designed for students who want to pursue a career in teaching architecture. The program provides students with a deeper understanding of design principles and theory is for students who do not plan to pursue architectural licensing. Admission to the program requires a baccalaureate degree in any field. The program is typically completed in one academic year of full-time study.
- Master of Science in Architecture: The Master of Science in Architecture degree program is intended for students who are interested in a focused architectural research in Neuroscience for Architecture or Healthy Urbanism. The program is typically completed in one academic years of full-time study.
- Master of Architecture - IPAL: In 2015, NewSchool was one of the first 14 programs in the United States accepted for participation in the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure (IPAL) initiative. NewSchool offers a 4-year accredited program that makes it possible for students to earn their architectural licensure upon graduation.
Construction Management programs
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management: The Bachelor of Science in Construction Management degree program is based on an interdisciplinary curriculum of science, architecture and engineering. The program is typically completed in four years of full-time study. Student teams have won first place in the Associated Schools of Construction Competition (ASC) in Reno in 2013, 2015 and 2016.
- Master of Construction Management: The Master of Construction Management degree program emphasizes business management skills and the integration of construction technology with management, business planning, and professional ethics. The program can be completed in one year of full-time study, depending on individual progress.
- Bachelor of Interior Architecture & Design: The Bachelor of Interior Architecture & Design degree program emphasizes the design of functional and beautiful spaces that fulfill human expectations while incorporating evolving technology and sustainability. The program is intended to impart a global design perspective; interdisciplinary, integrative practice; and sustainable, socially-responsible design practices.
- Bachelor of Arts in Product Design: The Bachelor of Arts in Product Design degree program includes the study of complex and interactive objects as well as product-service systems and experiences. Students are meant to develop a foundation in prototyping, manufacturing, and materials selections that culminates in a final year product design project.
- Bachelor of Science in Graphic Design & Interactive Media: The Bachelor of Science in Graphic Design & Interactive Media explores the principles, technology and practical applications needed to produce creative graphic design solutions. NewSchool students have won six ADDYs from the American Advertising Federation including a Silver National ADDY Award in 2016.
NewSchool of Architecture & Design (NewSchool) campus is 100,000 square feet (9,300 m2) and is located in the East Village in downtown San Diego. The main building is on F Street and Park Boulevard. Faculty and staff occupy the buildings on G Street and Park Boulevard.
Programmatic Accreditation: National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB)
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Master of Architecture
- "Newschool of Architecture and Design". College Scorecard. US Department of Education. Retrieved 21 June 2019.
- "Newschool of Architecture and Design". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Laureate Education buys two U.S. colleges". Baltimore Business Journal. July 16, 2008. Retrieved November 4, 2011. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "WASC Accreditation: Newschool of Architecture and Design".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to NewSchool of Architecture and Design.|