India Government Mint, Mominpore, Kolkata
|Elevation||15 m (49 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
New Alipore is situated just south of Alipore bordered by the Budge Budge section of the Kolkata Suburban Railway between Majherhat and Tollygunge stations - it is bounded by the above railway line to the North, the B.L.Saha Road (Chetla) to the East, Diamond Harbour Road to the West and by Behala to the South.
New Alipore was created as a planned residential suburb of the city of Calcutta (now Kolkata) by the Calcutta Metropolitan Development Authority (now KMDA) in the fifties to house the burgeoning population of the city, looking for more land.
The area to the east of the Diamond Harbour Road was divided into 16 blocks - each block consisting of about 40 plots numbered xx/N or xx/S - N & S standing for North and South facing. It has recently been declared the Model Ward (Ward-81, Borough-X) by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
In the 1930s, the India Government Mint was founded here which produces coins for domestic use as well as other countries. Next to the Mint lies the Centenary Port Trust Hospital, built in 1971.
It is one of the most posh and costliest localities of Kolkata with the average prices as high as 10 crores.New Alipore is mostly dominated by the business families.Mostly upper middle class and rich class reside here.
It is one of the better planned and posh areas of the city and is home to a wide variety of people from all walks of life. The roads in this neighborhood have paved sidewalks, often lined with trees. The area has a planned underground drainage system and street lighting. There are couple of parks and gardend.It's one of the posh and costliest localities of entire Eastern India.
One of the major thoroughfares is the Nalini Ranjan Avenue. The street has a diverse selection of restaurants, from Chinese joints (the oldest being Kowloon) to cafes like Barista, Café Coffee Day and Subway and Domino's Pizza outlets. Other eateries include Cakes, Gelato Italiano, Mama Mia and Tewari's. The area also boasts Beharilal's, Gupta brothers, Steak factory, Super Snacks Bar, Tangerine and Zyka. There are plenty of clubs and book shops. Recent developments include opening of big retail outlets and banks like HSBC, Axis Bank, Standard Chartered, HDFC Bank and State Bank of India. Retail outlets include Metropolis. There are also many Spas,designer boutiques,etc.
As a result, New Alipore has turned out as one of the most sought-after locales of Calcutta, with land prices among the highest in the city. Since the 1980s the bungalows and houses owned by the Bengali middle class have been giving way to swank high rises targeted at Calcutta's business communities. The new millennium has seen condos with swimming pools and gym facilities for the gentry.
New Alipore is connected to all parts of the city by extensive bus services. The Diamond Harbour Road is part of NH 117. The erstwhile Kalighat Falta Railway (KFR) has been dismantled and the space reclaimed. The stretch where once the tracks lay is now the James Long Sarani. This road runs parallel to the Diamond Harbour Road and through Behala and Thakurpukur.
New Alipore has 2 railway stations, "New Alipore(Calcutta) Station" (formerly Kalighat station) & Majerhat Railway Station on the Budge Budge section of the Kolkata Suburban Railway and Kolkata Circular Railway. The nearest Metro stations are Kalighat, Rabindra Sarobar. An project is connecting Joka to Mominpore is set to be inaugurated by 2016.
CSTC Bus Routes
- AC4A Parnasree — Sapoorji Estate
Non AC Bus
- S3W Joka — Ecospace (Aliah University)
- S4 Parnasree — Salt Lake Depot
- S4D Parnasree — New Town
- S22 Shakuntala Park — Salt Lake Karunamoyee
- S22A Dakghar — Salt Lake Karunamoyee
- S46 Akra Rabindranagar — Salt Lake
- S48A B.B.D Bagh — Behala Chowrasta
Private Bus Routes
- 1B Ramnagar — Nayabad(Garia)
- 3B Milk Colony — New Alipore
- 21/1 Sealdah — Thakurpukur Kadamtala
- 37 Howrah Station — Dhakuria
- 42B Beliaghata Sales Tax — Bichalighat
- 18B Sorsuna(Behala)- Sealdah
SD Bus Routes
- SD4 Garfa — Thakurpukur
- SD5 Sonarpur Station — Khariberia
- SD76 Amtala — Ruby Hospital
- Madhyamgram — Taratala
- Salt Lake Technopolis — Taratala
- B. P. Poddar Hospital, Humayun Kabir Sarani (Near Durgapur Bridge)
sradha eye care near petrol pump buroshibtala..
rsv hospital near tollygunge circular road..( new alipore ).
port hospital, debi sethi diagonaisis hospital and one more near taratala..(now under new alipore p.s. area)...
- Preschools like St John's, Kidzee and Kangaroo Kids
- Bidya Bharati School
- New Alipore Multipurpose School
- Marine Engineering and Research Institute
- Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy
- New Alipore College,St Joseph And Mary's School
- Welfare Society For The Blind
- Sri Sarada Ashram Valika Vidyalaya (Block- O)
Places of interest
- New Alipore Suruchi Sangha Club, Block - M
- New Alipore Sarbojanin Durgotsav Samity,New Alipore Children's Park
- Buroshibtala Sarbojanin Durgotsav, Buroshibtala
- Exotica Shopping and residential complex (Under Construction). near New Alipore Railway station
- Amartya Sen - economist, Nobel laureate
- Brinda Karat - politician [Block G]
- Bipasa Basu - film actress
- Dev (actor) - film actor
- Diptendu Pramanick - film personality [Block B]
- Dattu Phadkar - cricketer
- Leander Adrian Paes - Indian professional tennis player [Block G], During 1977
- Indrani Haldar - film actress [Block B]
- Jeet - film actor
- Jnan Chandra Ghosh - scientist/educator/Director of first IIT [75D]
- Sabitri Chatterjee - film actress [Block N]
- Sharad Kapoor - film actor [Rajkanta Apartment, Block N]
- Tapas Paul - film actor
- Tapan Sinha - film Director
- Arundhati Devi - Bengali actress, film director and writer
- Amitabh Bachchan - film actor [Block G], During 1960s
- Subhro Kamal Mukherjee - Chief Justice of Karnataka HC [Block P]