New Canaan High School
|New Canaan High School|
|New Canaan, Connecticut
|Principal||Mr. William Egan|
|Number of students||approx. 1300|
|Colors||Red and Black|
|Website||New Canaan High School|
The donations of land came in two installments, one being 31 acres (130,000 m2) in 1964 and the second being 15 acres (61,000 m2) in 1966.
The school is at the intersection of Farm Rd and South Avenue, with the latter being a major thoroughfare into and out of downtown New Canaan. The school is set back from South Avenue by a 19-acre (77,000 m2) wetlands buffer which includes running trails.
The school recently completed a multi-year, $60+ million renovation. An additional $14 million was spent on asbestos abatement, a portion of which was reimbursed through the settlement of an asbestos related lawsuit.
New Canaan High School is part of the Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference (FCIAC).
In 2010, the program was honored by the American Association of School Librarians with the National School Library Program of the Year Award (acceptance video) and the Connecticut Association of School Librarians with the state equivalent, the Bernice "Bunny" Yesner School Library Media Program of the Year Award. It also received honorable mentions for instructional collaboration from two international educational technology organizations: the International Society for Technology in Education and the Consortium for School Networking.
Forbes magazine recently rated the school a 92 out of 100 for its educational quality.
- Ann Coulter (Class of 1980), conservative social and political commentator, writer, syndicated columnist, and lawyer
- Katherine Heigl (Class of 1997), film producer and former fashion model, actress on Grey's Anatomy, Under Siege 2: Dark Territory, Knocked Up, 27 Dresses
- Martin Mull (Class of 1961), actor who has appeared in many television and film roles
- Max Pacioretty (Class of 2007), professional hockey left winger and alternate captain for the Montreal Canadiens
- Bill Toomey (Class of 1957), track and field competitor and the 1968 Olympic decathlon champion
- Jon Vitti (unknown), writer best known for his work on the television series The Simpsons
- Sid Yudain (Class of 1951), journalist who founded Roll Call in 1955 as a community newspaper focused on the United States Congress and Capitol Hill
- Curt Casali (Class of 2007), professional baseball catcher for the Tampa Bay Rays
- Michael McCusker (unknown), film editor of the Johnny Cash biopic, Walk the Line
- Bill Roorbach (Class of 1971), author of short stories
- Will Hanley (Class of 2012), basketball player
- Peter Demmerle (Class of 1972), Notre Dame Fighting Irish football player
- "1974 Agreement on High School property". Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- New Canaan High School Building Committee Update
- Asbestos Lab Settles with School District | Mesothelioma Lawyer & Asbestos Cancer Resource | Sokolove Law
- Athletics - This Week