New Central Polish Airport
"Solidarity" Transport Hub / Central Transport Hub
Centralny Port Komunikacyjny "Solidarność"
|Operator||Centralny Port Komunikacyjny Sp. z o.o.|
|Hub for||LOT Polish Airlines|
Solidarity Transport Hub or Central Port of Communication/Transport (Polish: Centralny Port Komunikacyjny, CPK) is a megaproject of the Government of Poland aimed at the construction of a new, built-from-scratch airport which will be located approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi) southwest of Warsaw, and is planned to replace Warsaw Chopin Airport. The planned launch of the port is 2027. At the beginning, the airport is to have two runways and ultimately four. The port will initially have a capacity of 40 million passengers per year, and ultimately 100 million passengers. Planned train connections will take 15 minutes to Warsaw Central railway station, 25 minutes to Łódź Fabryczna railway station, and 2 hours to most other major Polish cities, such as Kraków, Wrocław, Poznań and Gdańsk.
The airport's planned site is about 40km west of Warsaw, next to the village Stanisławów which is part of Gmina Baranów in Grodzisk Mazowiecki County. The Baranow commune occupies a significant part of the Grodzisk County and, despite its rural character, has an extensive road infrastructure. The A2 autostrada and railway lines run in the immediate vicinity of the potential construction site, and Wrocław (Expressway S8) and Poznań (national road No. 92) is nearby.
Discussion for a new airport to replace Warsaw Chopin Airport began in the 2000s. On May 12, 2005, the Civil Aviation Office signed a contract with the Spanish consortium Ineco-Sener to carry out a feasibility study of the central airport. In spite of this, during the next two years, such a study was not carried out, which was interpreted as postponing the project of the new big airport for an indeterminate future. Nevertheless, the new airport serving Warsaw was proposed in the government's Transport Infrastructure Development Strategy for 2010-2013.
On June 17th, 2018, the residents of the district of Baranów, Grodzisk Mazowiecki County voted down the plan to build the new airport. With 47 percent voter turnout, 84 precent opposed the plan. The referendum was not binding, but the Deputy Infrastructure Minister, Mikołaj Wild, has said that the voice of the public would be taken under consideration.
- "Mikołaj Wild: W 25 minut z Łodzi do CPK". rynek-lotniczy.pl. 2018-09-28. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- "Nowe lotnisko w Stanisławowie. 45 mln pasażerów rocznie, nowe centra kongresowe i autostrady za 6,9 mld złotych". wyborcza.pl. 17 September 2017. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Lotnisko w Baranowie żyłą złota?". propertydesign.pl. 23 November 2017. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Wiadomość z 12.05.2005". tr.ru. 2007-03-11. Retrieved 19 February 2018.
- "Poland Approves Plan to Build $9.6 Billion Central Airport". Bloomberg. 7 November 2017. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Planned Polish hub airport opposed in local vote". Polish Radio External Service. 18 June 2018. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
Media related to New Central Polish Airport at Wikimedia Commons