New Croton Reservoir
|New Croton Reservoir|
|Location||Westchester County, New York|
|Primary inflows||Croton River|
|Primary outflows||Croton River|
|Catchment area||57 sq mi (150 km2)|
|Basin countries||United States|
The New Croton Reservoir is a reservoir in Westchester County, New York, part of the New York City water supply system lying approximately 22 miles (35 km) north of New York City. It is the collecting point for water from all reservoirs in the Croton Watershed.
In 1842 the Croton River, a tributary of the Hudson River, was impounded by the Old Croton Dam to create Croton Lake. New York City's first source of water beyond its city limits, its waters traveled by aqueduct to the Croton Distributing Reservoir in midtown Manhattan.
In 1905 the New Croton Dam was completed, expanding the existing impoundment into the New Croton Reservoir, then the largest in the Croton Watershed, and thus one of the largest in the New York City water supply system to that point. It has a 57 square mile (148 km²) drainage basin, is approximately 9 miles (14 km) long, and can hold 19 billion US gallons (72,000,000 m3) of water at full capacity.
Its waters flow into the New Croton Aqueduct, then into the Jerome Park Reservoir in The Bronx. In Manhattan these are mixed with those of the Catskill aqueduct, the result flowing through the New York City boroughs of Brooklyn and Staten Island, termini of the distribution system.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New Croton Reservoir.|
- Old Croton Aqueduct
- New Croton Aqueduct
- List of reservoirs and dams in New York
- New York City water supply system
- "New Croton Reservoir". dec.ny.gov. NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Staff (September 24, 1904). "Completing the Great Masonry Dam of, the New Croton Reservoir". Scientific America. Archived from the original on 17 October 2012. Retrieved 13 March 2016. Cite journal requires
- Staff. "Croton Water Supply System". ascemetsection.org. American Society of Civil Engineers. Retrieved 13 November 2016.