New Democratic Army - Kachin
|New Democratic Army - Kachin|
ကချင်ဒီမိုကရေစီသစ် တပ်မတော်Participant in the Internal conflict in Myanmar
|Active||1989– November 2009|
Zahkung Ting Ying|
|Headquarters||Pangwa, Kachin State|
|Area of operations||
Kachin State, Myanmar|
|Size||200–300; 700 (peak)|
|Originated as||Kachin Independence Army|
|Battles and wars|
The New Democratic Army - Kachin (Burmese: ကချင်ဒီမိုကရေစီသစ် တပ်မတော်; abbreviated NDA-K) was an armed insurgent group that operated from 1989 until its conversion into a "border guard force" in November 2009.
The NDA-K was founded in 1989 by former Kachin Independence Organization (KIO) officers Zahkung Ting Ying, Layawk Zelum, and Ying Zelum, when they led a communist faction of 700 soldiers that split from the KIO due to its political differences. In the same year, the group agreed to a ceasefire with the government, and it de facto operated under the Tatmadaw's command as a "special regional task force".
The group received a budget, rations, and supplies from the government. Additionally, 600 soldiers were paid by the government as part of the Myanmar Police Force. In November 2009, the group became one of the first insurgent groups under a ceasefire agreement to convert into a "border guard force". Some members have since joined the Kachin State Progressive Party (KSPP) to contest in the 2010 general election.
Zahkung Ting Ying is a Ngochan Kachin from the Yunnan Frontier. In 1968, he split from Kachin Independence Army and joined the Communist Party Burma and established the CPB's 101 War Zone with Zaluman, another KIA defector.  .In 2016, he was expelled from the Union Parliament for breaking a lot of election laws while campaigning..
- Mizzimia Archive - NDA-K
- NDA-K's Ting Ying declares Burma army will wipeout KIA
- Global Security - Kachin
- Asian Correspondent - NDA-K: Burma needs to value peace talks in Kachin State
- http://jinghpawkasa.blogspot.com/2009/07/zahkung-ting-ying.html "Zawhkung Ting Ying" Jinghpaw Kasa, 2009
- Lintner, B. The Rise and fall of the Communist party of Burma, SEAP Publications, 1990, p25
- Nyan Hlaing Lynn,June 25,2016,Kachin militia leader expelled from Union Parliament, Frontier. https://frontiermyanmar.net/en/kachin-militia-leader-expelled-from-union-parliament
|This Myanmar-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|