New Dorp High School
|New Dorp High School|
465 New Dorp Lane|
Staten Island, New York
|Type||Public, grades 9-12|
|School district||Region 7|
New Dorp High School, (or "New Dorp," or NDHS) administered by the New York City Department of Education, is a public school located on the East Shore of the New York City borough of Staten Island in the New Dorp neighborhood. The school is located at 465 New Dorp Lane next to Miller Field, an army airport turned park, which extends to the Lower New York Bay. New Dorp High School is located in Region 7, which encompasses all of Staten Island and portions of southwest Brooklyn. Its administrative district is 31. The school has 165 full-time teachers.
New Dorp High School was originally located a few streets away in a smaller building which is now Staten Island Technical High School. Due to the growing population in the area, just as with the rest of the borough, the school was moved to its current, larger building in 1982. Since then, New Dorp High School has grown into a diverse academic community that reaches out to the area. Recent changes include developing new programs.
All students are enrolled in a certain House, or program within the high school. Students chose which "House" they would prefer while applying to high schools. Each "House" or "SLC" (Smaller Learning Community) focuses on a certain subject area. These programs include:
- The Law Institute & AFJROTC Program
- The Math and Science Institute
- Future Teachers Academy
- Institute of Health Sciences
- Institute of Forensic Science & Criminology
- Corporate Center for Business & Technology
- Academy of Fine & Dramatic Arts
- Academy of Communications & Media Arts
Students are required to achieve a passing grade on 5 New York State Regents exams. Advanced Placement courses are offered in Biology, Calculus AB, English Literature, Global History, and US History, Statistics, Computer Science A and Principles. College extension programs are available; these are classes that college credit is offered, but it is given from a specific college rather than through an AP test. College extension classes include Anatomy & Physiology, Pre-Calc, Spanish, and Italian. New Dorp High School has partnerships with local colleges including CUNY College of Staten Island, CUNY Kingsborough Community College, St. John's University, and Polytechnic Institute of New York University.
New Dorp High School contains a diverse community of students. Asian represent 6.85%, Hispanic or Latino represent 26.21%, African American represent 12.90%, and White (non-Hispanic) represent 53.71%.
Sculpture at the entrance
At the main entrance of New Dorp High School stands a large aluminum sculpture. It is a work by contemporary, and well-renowned sculptor Bill Barrett. Titled "Hari IV," it measures 32 feet in height, 28 feet in width, and 16 feet in diameter and was constructed in 1982. It is meant to represent a student with a book, but the sculpture is often misunderstood as looking like an elephant. It is a common congregating area for students, as well as a very prominent feature of the school campus. Mike Brenson of the New York Times is quoted in 1988 saying, "Bill Barrett's 'HARI IV', a large aluminum, graffiti inspired sculpture for New Dorp High School in Staten Island, one of the most successful public sculptures in the city...".
- Vinny Browne, a Democratic Party candidate for the United States House of Representatives
- Mikhail Varshavski (Doctor Mike), TV + Social Media Physician/Personality
- Frank Ferrara, football player
- Nick Fotiu, hockey player
- Maura Harty, United States Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of Consular Affairs
- Florina Kaja, reality TV star
- Sukanya Krishnan, news anchor
- Jerome H. Lemelson, inventor and philanthropist
- Robert Loggia, actor
- Nicole Malliotakis, member of the New York Assembly and Republican Party nominee for New York City's 2017 mayoral election
- Hurvin McCormack, former NFL player
- Guy Molinari, former United States Representative
- A. J. Pero, drummer with band Twisted Sister
- Mike Siani, former professional American football player
- Les Schneider, former U.S. Air Force officer and pilot, known for Gemini 8 rescue mission
- "Emma Roberts Films Scenes for Upcoming Film 'Nerve' in Staten Island, New York - Flash Mafia". Flash Mafia. 2015-05-19. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- Hari IV Sculpture
- Hawaii 2010 Special Election Candidate Report (PDF), 2010
- "Assembly hopeful Nicole Malliotakis stays close to roots in campaign's final hours". Staten Island Advance. SILive.com. November 2, 2010.