New Egypt, New Jersey
|New Egypt, New Jersey|
Map of New Egypt in Ocean County. Inset: Location of Ocean County in New Jersey.
|• Total||10.543 km2 (4.071 sq mi)|
|• Land||10.398 km2 (4.015 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.145 km2 (0.056 sq mi) 1.38%|
|Elevation||25 m (82 ft)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|• Density||241.6/km2 (625.7/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||2389541|
New Egypt is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) located within Plumsted Township, in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 2,512.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP had a total area of 4.071 square miles (10.543 km2), of which 4.015 square miles (10.398 km2) is land and 0.056 square mile (0.145 km2) (1.38%) is water.
The community has a volunteer fire station, a first aid station, and a police department. New Egypt has a supermarket, a funeral home (www.tilghmanfh.com) the New Egypt Market Place (formerly the IGA), a bike store (Mid Atlantic X-treme Sports), two barber shops, an auto body (New Egypt Auto Body), two diners, a general store and a few other small stores downtown. It is also home to seven churches: Assumption Roman Catholic Church, Bible Baptist Church, Church of Christ, Church of the Nazarene, New Egypt United Methodist Church, Plumsted Presbyterian Church, and The Christian Fellowship Church of New Egypt. Oakford Lake is located in the middle of the town. In the early 1900s the location thrived as a tourist and vacation attraction.
New Egypt also has a recreation field which includes four baseball fields, a football field, two softball fields, and a basketball court and three small fields used for tee ball.
1990-2010 2000 2010
At the 2010 United States Census, there were 2,512 people, 902 households, and 652.1 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 625.7 per square mile (241.6/km2). There were 972 housing units at an average density of 242.1 per square mile (93.5/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 91.44% (2,297) White, 1.99% (50) Black or African American, 0.84% (21) Native American, 0.96% (24) Asian, 0.08% (2) Pacific Islander, 3.11% (78) from other races, and 1.59% (40) from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 10.51% (264) of the population.
There were 902 households, of which 34.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.9% were married couples living together, 13.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.7% were non-families. 21.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.21.
In the CDP, 25.3% of the population were under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 26.7% from 25 to 44, 29.8% from 45 to 64, and 9.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37.2 years. For every 100 females there were 103.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.5 males.
As of the 2000 United States Census there were 2,519 people, 913 households, and 664 families residing in New Egypt. The population density was 241.9/km2 (625.9/mi2). There were 980 housing units at an average density of 94.1/km2 (243.5/mi2). The racial makeup of New Egypt was 91.90% White, 2.18% African American, 0.28% Native American, 1.27% Asian, 2.74% from other races, and 1.63% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.19% of the population.
There were 913 households out of which 38.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.6% were married couples living together, 11.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.2% were non-families. 21.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.76 and the average family size was 3.18.
In New Egypt the population was spread out with 28.1% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 33.4% from 25 to 44, 21.2% from 45 to 64, and 8.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 99.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.1 males.
The median income for a household in New Egypt was $49,297, and the median income for a family was $50,833. Males had a median income of $38,156 versus $35,313 for females. The per capita income for New Egypt was $18,771. About 5.9% of families and 7.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.8% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.
New Jersey Transit provides bus service to Philadelphia on the 317 bus route. New Egypt was a major stop on the Pennsylvania Railroad's Pemberton & Hightstown line; it was abandoned in 1979. The former roadbed was converted in 2010 for rail trail use as the Union Transportation Trail.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with New Egypt include
- Deena Nicole Cortese (born 1987), cast member of MTV's Jersey Shore.
- Rocky Marval (born 1965), pairs figure skater who finished 10th at the 1992 Winter Olympics together with partner Calla Urbanski.
- Gazetteer of New Jersey Places, United States Census Bureau. Accessed June 13, 2013.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: New Egypt Census Designated Place, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed June 26, 2012.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for New Egypt CDP, Ocean County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed June 20, 2012.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for New Egypt, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed June 26, 2012.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- A Cure for the Common Codes: New Jersey, Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed June 26, 2012.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- GCT-PH1 - Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for Ocean County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed January 11, 2013.
- 2006-2010 American Community Survey Geography for New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed January 11, 2013.
- New Jersey: 2010 - Population and Housing Unit Counts - 2010 Census of Population and Housing (CPH-2-32), United States Census Bureau, August 2012. Accessed January 11, 2013.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2000 from the Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF 1) 100-Percent Data for New Egypt CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed January 11, 2013.
- Ocean County Bus / Rail Connections, New Jersey Transit, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 26, 2010. Accessed January 13, 2013.
- McBride, Bill. "Hobo's Guide to the PRR's Pemberton & Hightstown Railroad". Retrieved 2014-10-10.
- Jane Meggitt (September 30, 2010). "New trail takes visitors along historic railroad line". Examiner. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- Holt, Bob. "‘Jersey Shore’ star Snooki helped Deena Nicole Cortese become new cast member", NewJerseyNewsroom.com, July 29, 2010. September 9, 2011. "Jersey Shore is welcoming a new cast member for the third season, the self-proclaimed "Bad Ass Brunette" Deena Nicole Cortese, 23, who actually hails from New Egypt, Ocean County."
- Hersh, Phil. "Rocky Road Ends Suddenly For U.s. Duo", Chicago Tribune, July 30, 1993. Accessed June 26, 2012. "Marval, 27, of New Egypt, N.J., said he soon will begin his search for a new partner."