New Egypt High School
|New Egypt High School|
|117 Evergreen Road
New Egypt, NJ 77396
|School district||Plumsted Township School District|
|Asst. principal||Sara Brogan|
|Faculty||40.2 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||538 (as of 2013-14)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.4:1|
Navy Blue and|
|Athletics conference||Burlington County Scholastic League|
New Egypt High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Plumsted Township in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Plumsted Township School District. The school opened its doors in 1999 and admitted 100 ninth-graders who would graduate in spring 2003, ending a sending/receiving relationship with the Upper Freehold Regional School District under which students from the township attended Allentown High School.
As of the 2013-14 school year, the school had an enrollment of 538 students and 40.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.4:1. There were 64 students (11.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 17 (3.2% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 151st-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 193rd in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 203rd in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 193rd in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 173rd in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 160th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 12 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (80.9%) and language arts literacy (94.5%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The New Egypt High School Warriors compete in the Burlington County Scholastic League (BCSL), a sports association made up of public and non-public high schools covering Burlington County, Mercer County and Ocean County in Central Jersey, operating under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 481 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as North I, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 481 to 749 students in that grade range.
The girls softball team made it to the 2006 Central Jersey Group I tournament as the number-two seed, defeating South Amboy High School 12-0 in the first round and Florence Township Memorial High School by a score of 2-0 in the second round, before defeating Bordentown Regional High School by a score of 3-2 in the tournament final.
In 2005, the field hockey team won the Central Jersey Group I Championship, defeating Palmyra High School in the final game by a score of 5-0. The team also won the 2004 championship, outscoring Keyport High School 4-1, and also won in 2003, edging Henry Hudson Regional High School in the final game by a 3-2 score.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Michael Mendes - Principal
- Sara Brogan - Assistant Principal
- Deena Nicole Cortese (born 1987), reality television star on the MTV hit show Jersey Shore.
- Keith Jones (class of 2003), regional-Emmy Award-winning news anchor and reporter for WCAU in Philadelphia.
- School Data for New Egypt High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed November 6, 2015.
- New Egypt High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 6, 2015.
- Vosseller, Bob. "NHS receives high praise for curriculum", The New Egypt Press, September 14, 1999. Accessed August 12, 2014. "History will be made this week when 100 ninth-graders enter the New Egypt high School marking its inaugural class. Two years ago Plumsted Township voters in a strong majority vote withdrew from Allentown High School in the Upper Freehold Regional School District through a referendum vote."
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 7, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for North I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 20, 2014.
- 2006 Softball - Central, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed July 17, 2006.
- 2005 Field Hockey - Central - I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 20, 2007.
- 2004 Field Hockey - Central, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 20, 2007.
- 2003 Field Hockey - Central, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 20, 2007.
- High School Administration, New Egypt High School. Accessed February 24, 2016.
- Hyman, Vicki. "New 'Jersey Shore' castmate actually from New Jersey; Deena Cortese is pals with Snooki", The Star-Ledger, July 27, 2010. Accessed August 12, 2014. "Deena, 23, is a graduate of New Egypt High School who attended Brookdale Community College in Lincroft, and served on the cheerleading squad there."
- Staff. "New Egypt Middle School social studies students excel", Tri-Town News, March 5, 2015. Accessed November 6, 2015. "One of the many alumni to be featured this year will be Keith Jones, an NBC-10 Philadelphia news anchor. Jones graduated from New Egypt High School in 2003 and entered Villanova University, Villanova, Pa."
- New Egypt High School
- Plumsted Township School District
- Plumsted Township School District's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Plumsted Township School District, National Center for Education Statistics