New Frontier Theater
The theater in 2017
|Former names||Kia Theatre (2015–2018)|
|Address||Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo Avenue, Araneta Center|
Cubao, Quezon City, Metro Manila,
|Public transit|| Araneta Center–Cubao|
|Opened||May 27, 1967|
|Reopened||August 15, 2015|
The theater first opened in May 27, 1967 as the New Frontier Theater and was considered for some years to be the biggest theater in the Philippines, with at least 3,500 seating capacity. It was used until the late 1980s after which the theater fell into disuse.
Renovations were planned as early as 2003 but it was almost a decade later that such works would have been completed. It was renovated and reopened on September 1, 2015. The renovation cost around ₱500 million. The facade of the original building was kept and the renovated theater has a 2,385 seating capacity.
The theater was renamed "Kia Theatre" after the Araneta Group signed a five-year licensing deal with Columbian Autocar Corporation, the Philippine distributor for Kia Motors until 2018, on July 15, 2015. The theater façade would feature a 305.96 square metres (3,293.3 sq ft) Kia showroom as part of the agreement.
The theater reopened on August 15, 2015 with the staging of the musical, MLQ: Ang Buhay ni Manuel Luis Quezon. The first commercial show of the theater upon its reopening was The Disney Live! Mickey’s Music Festival which ran from September 1 to 6.
- Dalisay, Jose (2008). "My Comfort Zone". The Araneta Center : the big dome and beyond. By Alcazaren, Alfred; Yuson, Paulo. p. 23. ISBN 9789719398103.
- "Tallest Christmas tree aglitter anew in Cubao". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 16 November 2006. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- Buban, Charles (9 September 2003). "Araneta Center: Business, retail hub of the future". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- de Guzman, Nickky (21 July 2015). "QC's New Frontier Theater reopens". Business World. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "QC's old New Frontier Theater to be rehabilitated". GMA News. 16 July 2015. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Kia Theatre opens at Araneta Center". The Standard. 18 August 2015. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Araneta Group Company Profile" (PDF). Araneta Group. Retrieved 5 March 2017.
The (Kia) theater officially opened on August 15, 2015 with the Manuel L. Quezon play, which was quickly followed up by the world-renowned Disney Live.
- "The Moffatts are coming to Manila and Cebu". Rappler. 27 September 2018. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
Their upcoming reunion tour is happening on Friday, November 30, 2018, 8 PM, at the Kia Theatre (which will be renamed the New Frontier Theatre after October 1)...
- Bodegon, Kara (10 October 2018). "Taking Back Sunday announce Tokyo, Singapore, Manila shows for 20th anniversary tour". Bandwagon. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
The show will be held at the New Frontier Theater (formerly the Kia Theatre) in Quezon City on January 26 (Saturday).