New Generation Fighter
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
(Future Combat Air System)
|Role||Sixth-generation jet fighter|
|National origin||France / Germany / Spain|
The New Generation Fighter (NGF) is a sixth-generation jet fighter under development by Dassault Aviation and Airbus Defence and Space that will replace the current generation of Dassault's Rafales, Germany's Eurofighter Typhoons and Spain's F-18 Hornet aircraft by around 2035–2040.
With NGF comprising the fighter element of the system-of-systems, the Next-Generation Weapon System (NGWS) comprises the NGF and unmanned ‘wingmen’, while the wider Future Combat Air System comprises the NGWS and all other air assets in the future operational battlespace. Dassault will serve as prime contractor for the new fighter, while Airbus will lead the development of accompanying remote carrier vehicles and the broader system's supporting combat cloud.
A new jet engine called Next European Fighter Engine (NEFE) is also under development.
A model of the aircraft was shown at Euronaval 2018. It is a delta wing aircraft, with no vertical stabilizers or canards. Without vertical surfaces to reflect radar laterally, side aspect radar cross section will be reduced as well. It has rectangular air intakes like the F-35 and a V-tail like the YF-23 with overall stealth shape and angle influences from the F-22. The model is very similar to what was already presented by Dassault as the “European New Generation Aircraft” in a promotional video called “Wings for Europe”. It will also be carrier-capable and will fly from Marine Nationale future aircraft carrier.
At the 2018 ILA Berlin Air Show, Dassault Aviation and Airbus announced an agreement to cooperate on the development of a stealth fighter jet as a replacement for French Rafale, German Eurofighter and Spanish F-18 Hornet, called Future Combat Air System (FCAS). A test flight of a demonstrator is expected around 2025 and entry into service around 2040.
- Roblin, Sebastien (Feb 5, 2019). "Forget the F-22 or Su-57: Europe Wants a Deadly 6th Generation Stealth Fighter". The National Interest. Retrieved Feb 16, 2019.
- Pike, John. "New Generation Fighter (NGF)". Global security.
- Trevithick, Joseph. "Eurofighter Consortium 2.0 Takes Shape As Spain Set To Join Franco-German Stealth Jet Program". The war zone. The Drive. Retrieved Feb 16, 2019.
- "Air superiority and nuclear deterrence dictate manned future fighter for France". Jane's 360.
- Pike, John. "Next Gen WS". Global security.
- "Dassault and Airbus unveil New Generation Fighter". flightglobal. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "ILA 2018: MTU reveals next-generation fighter engine". Jane's 360.
- "Dassault reveals first concept of Rafale successor". Aero time.
- "France unveils model of the New Generation Fighter". Defence Blog.
- "Euronaval 2018: France Officially Launches Aircraft Carrier Renewal Program". Navy recognition.
- "Good and Bad News for Franco-German Fighter". AIN online.
- Dubois, Thierry (2018-10-23). "Dassault Unveils 'New-Gen' Fighter mockup". Aviation Week. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
- Roblin, Sebastien (2018-05-04). "Will Germany and France Develop Europe's First Stealth Fighter?". The National Interest. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Airbus and Dassault Launch a New FCAS—without BAE". Aviation International News. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Airbus, Dassault Join Forces on Future Combat Aircraft for Europe". Avionics. Aviation today. 2018-04-25. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "ILA: Airbus, Dassault cement FCAS pact". Flight global. 2018-04-25. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Germany-France to develop Eurofighter/Rafale replacement". Aviation Analysis. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Airbus, Dassault to team up for new fighter jet project". US: Reuters. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Paris Air Show: Europe to build rival to UK's next-generation fighter jet". Sky News. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
|This military aviation article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|