New Guinea snapping turtle
|New Guinea snapping turtle|
The Western New Guinea stream turtle or New Guinea snapping turtle (Elseya novaeguineae) is a species of freshwater turtle in the Chelidae family. It is found in the Vogelkopf region west of Cenderawasih Bay and on the island of Waigeo of West Papua Indonesia.
This species was recently moved from Elseya to Myuchelys by Georges and Thomson (2010); however, this was later deemed in error by the authors and was argued against by Rhodin et al., (2010) with the support of the authors. Hence it has been returned to the Elseya. The species Elseya schultzei has also long been seen as synonymous with this species; however, recent studies have shown this to be incorrect. Therefore, that species was recently removed from synonymy,further revision of the New Guinea Elseya the species has been made type species for a new subgenus (Hanwarachelys) which also contains Elseya schultzei and Elseya rhodini.
- Platemys novaeguineae (Meyer 1871:128)
- Turtle Taxonomy Working Group [van Dijk, P.P., Iverson, J.B., Rhodin, A.G.J., Shaffer, H.B., and Bour, R.]. 2014. Turtles of the world, 7th edition: annotated checklist of taxonomy, synonymy, distribution with maps, and conservation status. In: Rhodin, A.G.J., Pritchard, P.C.H., van Dijk, P.P., Saumure, R.A., Buhlmann, K.A., Iverson, J.B., and Mittermeier, R.A. (Eds.). Conservation Biology of Freshwater Turtles and Tortoises: A Compilation Project of the IUCN/SSC Tortoise and Freshwater Turtle Specialist Group. Chelonian Research Monographs 5(7):000.329–479, doi:10.3854/ crm.5.000.checklist.v7.2014.
- Meyer, Adolf Bernhard. 1874. Eine Mittheilung über die von mir auf Neu-Guinea und den Inseln Jobi, Mysore und Mafoor im Jahre 1873 gesammelten Amphibien. Monatsberichte der Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin 39:128–140.
- Fritz Uwe; Peter Havaš (2007). "Checklist of Chelonians of the World". Vertebrate Zoology. 57 (2): 329–330. ISSN 1864-5755. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-12-17. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- Thomson, S., Amepou, Y., Anamiato, J. & Georges, A. 2015. A new species and subgenus of Elseya (Testudines: Pleurodira: Chelidae) from New Guinea. Zootaxa 4006(1):59-82. Preview (PDF)
- Georges, A. & Thomson, S. 2010. Diversity of Australasian freshwater turtles, with an annotated synonymy and keys to species. Zootaxa 2496: 1–37.
- Anders G.J. Rhodin, Peter Paul van Dijk, John B. Iverson, and H. Bradley Shaffer. 2010. Turtles of the World, 2010 Update: Annotated Checklist of Taxonomy, Synonymy, Distribution, and Conservation Status
|Wikispecies has information related to: Elseya novaeguineae|