New Haven Unified School District
New Haven Unified School District (also known as NHUSD) is a public school district serving approximately 11,000 kindergarten through 12th-grade (K-12) students at 11 schools in Union City and South Hayward, in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The district was formed in 1965 from elementary school districts in Union City, and from the Union High School District in Fremont. New Haven was an early settlement on the west side of present-day Union City. New Haven became part of Alvarado, which maintained its name for more than 100 years until Union City was formed in the late 1950s. The New Haven School District was founded and took its name from the old settlement. Since Union City incorporated, its name is also part of the district's logo, which shows a group of children from all races and backgrounds holding hands around the city.
The New Haven Unified School District (NHUSD) is represented by five publicly elected trustees. Each trustee represents areas in Union City and South Hayward .New Haven School district will be switching to district elections on November 3,2020 .
- Alvarado Elementary School
- Eastin Elementary School
- Emanuele Elementary School
- Hillview Crest Elementary School
- Kitayama Elementary School
- Pioneer Elementary School
- Searles Elementary School
- César Chávez Middle School
- Itliong-Vera Cruz Middle School 
- Decoto School for Independent Study
- New Haven Adult School
Strikes and incidents
On November 20, 2019, two boys aged 11 and 14-years-old were shot in the parking lot of Searles Elementary School around 1 am, while sitting in a minivan. Both boys died of their wounds, one at the scene and the other at the hospital. The two were not known to be enrolled in the school. 18-year-old year Jason Cornejo of Castro Valley and a 17-year-old juvenile from Hayward were arrested on February 14, 2020. The first two arrested had gang affiliations, and it was suspected they thought the victims had ties with a rival gang.
- Chris De Benedetti (19 April 2013). "Union City school is nation's first named after Filipino-Americans, but acrimony over decision remains". Mercury News. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "New Haven Unified School District". www.mynhusd.org. Retrieved 2019-06-04.
- Crane, David (2019-06-04). "Week Three: New Haven Unified Strike". Medium. Retrieved 2019-06-04.
- Karimi, Faith; Kallingal, Mallika (November 24, 2019). "2 boys shot dead while sitting in a van at an elementary school parking lot". CNN. Retrieved 2019-11-26.
- Hassan, Anser; Brinkley, Leslie (February 14, 2020). "2 suspects arrested in deadly shooting of 2 Union City boys near school". ABC7 San Francisco.