This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Promotional poster for New Heart
|Written by||Hwang Eun-kyung|
|Directed by||Park Hong-kyun|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||23|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original network||Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation|
|Picture format||16:9 1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||December 12, 2007– February 28, 2008|
New Heart (Hangul: 뉴하트; RR: Nyu Hateu) is a 2007 South Korean medical drama television series, starring Ji Sung, Kim Min-jung, Cho Jae-hyun and Lee Ji-hoon. Directed by Park Hong-kyun and written by Hwang Eun-kyung, it aired on MBC from December 12, 2007 to February 28, 2008 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 for 23 episodes.
New Heart is a drama about heart surgeons who work in the thoracic surgery department of the fictional Kwanghee University Hospital.
Lee Eun-sung (Ji Sung) graduated from a newly established medical school in the provinces. He applies for a residency program the hospital and has high hopes of becoming a great doctor, despite his poor performance academically. Nam Hye-suk (Kim Min-jung) graduated at top of her medical school and is the first person to achieve perfect scores.
Eun-sung and Hye-suk's characters are opposites. Eun-sung is impulsive and compassionate, but lacks sound medical practice. Hye-suk is calculating and cold, but has a brilliant mind. They both must prove themselves to the new head of the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Choi Kang-guk (Cho Jae-hyun). He believes only a very specific kind of person is capable of being a cardiothoracic surgeon. Although he is a medical genius, he is stubborn and refuses to maintain the status quo and abide by hospital policies. Eun-sung and Hye-suk are the only applicants for the cardiothoracic residency positions at Kwanghee University Hospital. Dr. Choi is forced to accept them whilst attempting to restore the reputation of the cardiothoracic department of the hospital.
Famous actor Lee Dong-gwon (Lee Ji-hoon) is admitted into the hospital for cardiac arrhythmia. He immediately falls in love with Hye-suk, who was his classmate from elementary school. A love triangle develops as Dong-gwon becomes jealous when he observes the developing relationship between Eun-sung and Hye-suk.
- Lee Ji-hoon as Lee Dong-kwon
- Jung Ho-keun as Min Young-kyu
- Jang Hyun-sung as Kim Tae-joon
- Sung Dong-il as Lee Seung-jae
- Lee Ki-young as Kim Jung-gil
- Jung Dong-hwan as Park Jae-hyun
- Park Kwang-jung as Kim Young-hee
- Park Chul-min as Bae Dae-ro
- Kang Ji-hoo as Woo In-tae
- Shin Dong-mi as Jo Min-ah
- Kim Jun-ho as Seol Rae-hyun
- Jung Kyung-soon as Jo Bok-gil
- Lee Eung-kyung as Kim Hye-sook
- Lee Chang-joo as Lee In-ho
- Son Yeo-eun as Choi Hyun-jung
- Shin Da-eun as Kim Mi-mi
- Jo Myung-jin as Kim Ji-hyun
- Jung Chan as Heo Tae-jin
- Kim Hye-eun as Yoo Hee-jin
- Yoo Jung-suk as Jae-sub
- Jang Se-yoon as Nurse
- Lee Seol-hee as Nurse
- Jung Yi-do as Min-chul
- Min Ji-oh as Lee Pil-joo
- Kim Yoo-jung as Yoon-ah (guest)
- Eun Ji-won as (guest)
Awards and nominations
|44th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actor (Television)||Nominated|
|Best New Director (Television)||Nominated|
|Best Screenplay (Television)||Nominated|
|2nd Korea Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor||Nominated|
|27th MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actor||Nominated|
|Golden Acting Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Won|
|Golden Acting Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Won|
|Golden Acting Award, Supporting Actor||Won|
|Viewer's Favorite Drama of the Year||Nominated|
- It aired in Japan on Fuji TV in 2010 as part of the network's "Hallyu Alpha Summer Festival."
- It aired in Thailand on Channel 7 from October 29, 2010 to December 9, 2010, under the title P̄h̀ā rạk phis̄ūcn̒ h̄ạwcı (ผ่ารัก พิสูจน์หัวใจ).
- The series will be broadcast in 2018 with Persian dubbing from Iran's National Television Channel 2 
- Kwon, Mee-yoo; Han, Sang-hee (December 5, 2007). "New Medical Drama New Heart to Hit TV". The Korea Times. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "How Ji Sung Discovered a New Side to Himself". The Chosun Ilbo. January 4, 2008. Retrieved April 15, 2013.
- Kim, Lynn; Jang, Kyung-jin (April 23, 2010). "Korean Wave: The New Generation". 10Asia. Retrieved January 31, 2014.
- "New Heart - NEW HEART ผ่ารัก พิสูจน์หัวใจ". blike (in Thai). Retrieved December 4, 2016.
- "New Heart - NEW HEART بخش قلب". blike (in farsi). Retrieved June 24, 2018.