New Hebron, Mississippi
|New Hebron, Mississippi|
Location of New Hebron, Mississippi
|• Total||0.7 sq mi (1.7 km2)|
|• Land||0.7 sq mi (1.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||371 ft (113 m)|
|• Density||668.1/sq mi (257.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0674644|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 447 people, 179 households, and 124 families residing in the town. The population density was 668.1 people per square mile (257.6/km²). There were 205 housing units at an average density of 306.4 per square mile (118.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 93.96% White, 5.59% African American, and 0.45% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.34% of the population.
There were 179 households out of which 33.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.9% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.2% were non-families. 29.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the town, the population was spread out with 26.6% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 21.5% from 45 to 64, and 17.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 82.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $32,500, and the median income for a family was $37,679. Males had a median income of $31,094 versus $24,167 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,495. About 9.8% of families and 14.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.1% of those under age 18 and 15.3% of those age 65 or over.
The Town of New Hebron is served by the Lawrence County School District.
New Hebron has three churches: New Hebron Pentecostal Church, New Hebron Baptist Church, and New Hebron United Methodist Church.
- Erick Dampier - NBA player for the Dallas Mavericks; played at Lawrence County High School in Monticello and for Mississippi State University.
- Major Everett - Running back in the NFL for the Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns and the Atlanta Falcons; played high school ball at New Hebron High School and at Mississippi College.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.