|Launched||27 February 1966
11 June 2015 (relaunch)
|Picture format||576i (SDTV) 16:9|
|Audience share||1,1% (June 8, 2015 – June 14, 2015, AGB)|
|Formerly called||TED (1966–1970)
NET (1997–2013 Sign-off)
|NOVA Greece||Channel 103|
|OTE TV||Channel 104|
|OTE TV||Channel 104|
|ERT2 Live||Watch Live|
ERT2 (Greek: ΕΡΤ2), formerly NET (short for Néa Ellinikí Tileórasi; Greek: Νέα Ελληνική Τηλεόραση; Greek for New Hellenic Television), is the second television network of the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation (ERT), the public broadcaster of Greece. It is mainly a channel that broadcast documentaries, talkshows, current affairs programs and also some sporting events. It also broadcast children's shows. It was originally referred to as ERT2 and ET2 but the name was later changed to NET, before changing back to ERT2 by technically replacing NERIT Plus.
Amid protests of the government's decision to close the public broadcaster, ERT staff continued to operate NET via satellite and internet. until November 7, 2013, when riot police stormed into ERT headquarters and took the internet programming of NET off the air.
On 27 February 1966, a second television channel was created by the Greek military, the Armed Forces Television, which in 1970 became a fully-fledged second broadcaster as the Armed Forces Information Service (YENED). It contained news, sports, fashion, music, drama series and more rarely documentaries, films and children programming.
On 3 November 1982, YENED passed under civilian control and was renamed as ERT2. Public broadcasters were the only broadcasters in Greece. ERT2 followed the same programming. In 1987, ERT and ERT2 became one company, ERT and the channels rebranded ET1 and ET2.
In 1997, ET-2 was restructured as a news and information channel, airing documentaries and sports. It was therefore renamed as NET (Nea Elliniki Tileorasi/New Hellenic Television).
On June 11, 2013, NET was taken off air after the Greek government announced its decision to close ERT. Amid protests, NET continued to be broadcast via the Internet with the help of the European Broadcasting Union until November 7, 2013 when police forces invaded the ERT building and took the programme off.
By ERT relaunch on June 11, 2015 the station returned as ERT2, technically replacing NERIT Plus on its space.
ERT2's shows included:
- Exandas (Sextant) – Award-winning documentary series, hosted by Yorgos Avgeropoulos.
- Εxi Gousto – airs Monday to Friday at 4:00pm. Daily talk show that deals with all the issues surrounding everyday life. Topics and guests range from a wide variety of areas, from music, to theatre, to film and even authors. A show that informs and entertains, it has been very popular with viewers and is now in its sixth year. Hosted by Bilio Tsokala.
- Menoume Ellada (We live in Greece) – airs Monday to Friday at 2:00pm. Travel magazine that showcases beautiful Greece and all it has to offer. Four teams of reporters scour the country to bring the viewer to various points of interest, from small villages to historical sites and local culture. The show also features live pictures from 40 different locations via webcams and also provides constantly updated weather conditions for various cities and traffic updates from national and regional road-all on the TV screen. Hosted by Giorgos Amyras and Renia Tsitsibikou.
- Proiní Enimérosi (Morning informing) – A morning show with the latest headlines, sports news and scores, a look at the day ahead, weather conditions, entertainment and more, airs Monday to Friday at 6:00am. Hosted by Gianni Arbaniti & Marilena Katsimi
- Stin Υgiá Mas (Cheers!) – Variety program that focuses on entertaining viewers with music, featuring live performances by in-studio performers. Now in its third year, Stin Ygiá Mas is three hours of non-stop singing and dancing with the best in Greek music. Hosted by Spiros Papadopoulos, airs Saturdays at 10:00pm.
- Symvéni Tóra (It happens now) – Current affairs program that keep viewers informed of the latest headlines from Greece and around the world. Features live reports from around the country and analysis of issues that affect everyday people, such as economic matters, health concerns and more. Hosted by Fanis Papathanasiou & Maria Alexaki, airs daily at 10:00am.
- Borgen: Synomosies Exousias
- Downton Abbey
- Upstairs and Downstairs
- Parade's End
- Dancing with Jazz
NET airs live coverage of the following sports leagues & events:
- Euroleague Basketball
- UEFA Champions League (Wednesday matches and highlights)
- Eurovision Song Contest
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Mickey Mouse Works
- Lilo & Stitch: The Series
- Pepper Ann
- Darkwing Duck
- Quack Pack
- The Replacements
- The Legend of Tarzan
- Timon & Pumbaa
- Disney Channel Original Movies
- Walt Disney Pictures
|1997 – 7.6.2008||7.6.2008 – 11.6.2013||11.6.2015 –|