New Jasper Township, Greene County, Ohio
|New Jasper Township, Greene County, Ohio|
Ballard Road Covered Bridge, northwest of Jamestown
Location of New Jasper Township in Greene County
|• Total||21.4 sq mi (55.4 km2)|
|• Land||21.3 sq mi (55.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,020 ft (311 m)|
|• Density||119.4/sq mi (46.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086170|
Located in the east central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Cedarville Township - north
- Ross Township - northeast
- Silvercreek Township - southeast
- Caesarscreek Township - south
- Xenia Township - west
Name and history
New Jasper Township was established in 1853.
It is the only New Jasper Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- Darrell McCall, country music singer
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Greene County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Broadstone, Michael A. (1918). History of Greene County, Ohio: Its People, Industries and Institutions, Volume 1. B.F. Bowen. p. 334.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.