New Jazz Conceptions
|New Jazz Conceptions|
|Studio album by Bill Evans|
|Released||End of February 1957|
|Recorded||September 18 and 27, 1956
New York City
49:56 CD reissue
|Producer||Bill Grauer, Orrin Keepnews|
|Bill Evans chronology|
Producer Orrin Keepnews of Riverside Records first determined to record Evans after hearing a tape of his playing. Eleven songs were recorded in the first session, including Evans' own "Waltz for Debby" which would prove to be his most recognized and recorded composition.
New Jazz Conceptions was reissued in 2006 with a bonus track.
|All About Jazz||(no rating) |
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Writing for Allmusic, music critic Scott Yanow said about the album: "Bill Evans' debut as a leader found the 27-year-old pianist already sounding much different than the usual Bud Powell-influenced keyboardists of the time... A strong start to a rather significant career." David Rickert of All About Jazz noted the influence of Bud Powell and wrote "Even at this stage he had the chops to make this a good piano jazz album, but in the end it's not a very good Bill Evans album... There are glimpses of the later trademarks of Evans' style..."
- "I Love You" (Cole Porter) – 3:55
- "Five" (Bill Evans) – 4:03
- "I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)" (Duke Ellington, Paul Francis Webster) – 1:39
- "Conception" (George Shearing) – 4:47
- "Easy Living" (Leo Robin, Ralph Rainger) – 3:53
- "Displacement" (Evans) – 2:36
- "Speak Low" (Kurt Weill, Ogden Nash) – 5:10
- "Waltz for Debby" (Evans, Gene Lees) – 1:20
- "Our Delight" (Tadd Dameron) – 4:47
- "My Romance" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 2:01
- "No Cover, No Minimum" [Take 1] (Evans) – 8:14 Not part of original LP
- "No Cover, No Minimum" – 7:31
- Orrin Keepnews - Producer
- Bill Grauer - Producer
- Jack Higgins - Engineer
- Tamaki Beck - Mastering
- Billboard March 2, 1957
- Bill Evan biography. All About Jazz. Joel Simpson. Accessed January 2009.
- Rickert, David. "New Jazz Conceptions > Review". All About Jazz. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- Yanow, Scott. "New Jazz Conceptions > Review". Allmusic. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 73. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.