New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control
|Formed||1947, consolidated as division under state attorney general.|
|Jurisdiction||throughout New Jersey, to "supervise the manufacture, distribution and sale of alcoholic beverages in such a manner as to fulfill...the purpose of the Alcoholic Beverage Control law."|
|Headquarters||140 East Front Street|
Trenton, New Jersey 08625
|Parent department||Department of Law and Public Safety|
State of New Jersey
|Parent agency||Office of the Attorney General|
The New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control (Division of ABC or, simply, ABC) is an agency of the government of the state of New Jersey that regulates commerce in alcoholic beverages in that state.
The 21st Amendment to the United States Constitution, which ended the Prohibition, permitted the states to regulate matters related to alcohol. Immediately upon the end of Prohibition in 1933, New Jersey instituted the Alcoholic Beverage Control Law, codified as "Title 33 Intoxicating Liquors" of the New Jersey Statutes, which established the state ABC. These laws are expanded through administrative regulations in Title 13, Chapter 2 of the New Jersey Administrative Code. After New Jersey's 1947 Constitution was adopted and some departments were consolidated, the department was incorporated into the Division of Law and Public Safety under the New Jersey Attorney General's office.
The Division of ABC is headed by a Director, who is appointed by the Governor of New Jersey with the advice and consent of the State Senate. Investigations of violations of the ABC law are conducted by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Enforcement Unit in the Division of State Police which, like the Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control, is within the New Jersey Department of Law and Public Safety under the state attorney general.
In June 2017, State Assemblyman Dave Rible was nominated by Governor Chris Christie to head the department. Rible was confirmed to the position of Director by the State Senate and appointed the following month.
- Alcohol laws of New Jersey
- Alcohol laws of the United States
- Beer in New Jersey
- List of wineries, breweries, and distilleries in New Jersey
- New Jersey distilled spirits
- New Jersey Farm Winery Act
- New Jersey wine
- New Jersey Wine Industry Advisory Council
- New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control. "About ABC" (government website). Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- New Jersey Statutes - Title 33 Intoxicating Liquors Archived 2012-12-08 at the Wayback Machine from onecle.com. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- State of New Jersey - Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control. "History of the Division." Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- N.J.A.C. 13:2.
- Cervenka, Susanne (June 15, 2017). "Rible nominated to lead NJ liquor licensing agency". Asbury Park Press. Retrieved July 18, 2017.
- Reinhard, Abby (July 17, 2017). "Rible sworn in as head of Alcoholic Beverage Control". The Coast Star. Retrieved July 18, 2017.