New Jersey Senate, 2018–19 term
The New Jersey Senate is the upper house of the New Jersey Legislature. The 2018–2019 term (218th legislative session) begins on January 9, 2018 and will end on January 14, 2020. The Senators elected to this term were elected on November 7, 2017 (except for those since appointed or elected in special elections) and will serve until the end of the next term in 2020. This session was preceded by the 2016–2017 session and will be followed by the 2020–2021 session.
(Shading indicates majority caucus)
|End of previous legislature||24||16||40||0|
|Latest voting share||63%||38%|
The leadership for the 218th legislative session, which started on January 9, 2018, is as follows:
|President of the Senate||Stephen M. Sweeney||District 3|
|Majority Leader||Loretta Weinberg||District 37|
|President pro tempore||Teresa Ruiz||District 29|
|Deputy Majority Leaders||Sandra Bolden Cunningham
|Assistant Majority Leaders||James Beach
Linda R. Greenstein
|Majority Conference Leader||Robert M. Gordon||District 38|
|Minority Leader||Thomas Kean Jr.||District 21|
|Deputy Minority Leader||Robert Singer||District 30|
|Minority Conference Leader||Steve Oroho||District 24|
|Deputy Minority Conference Leader||Chris A. Brown||District 2|
|Minority Whip||Joseph Pennacchio||District 26|
|Deputy Minority Whip||Dawn Marie Addiego||District 8|
|Republican Budget Officer||Anthony Bucco||District 25|
† First appointed to the seat
Former members from this term
|District||Name||Party||Residence||First served||Term end||Cause|
|District 38||Robert M. Gordon||Dem||Fair Lawn||2008||April 4, 2018||Appointed to the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities|
Committees and Committee Chairs, 2018–2019 Legislative Session
Committee chairs are: (All are Democrats)
|Budget and Appropriations||Paul Sarlo|
|Community and Urban Affairs||Jeff Van Drew|
|Economic Growth||Nilsa Cruz-Perez|
|Environment and Energy||Bob Smith|
|Health, Human Services and Senior Citizens||Joe Vitale|
|Higher Education||Sandra Bolden Cunningham|
|Labor||Fred H. Madden|
|Law and Public Safety||Linda R. Greenstein|
|Legislative Oversight||Brian P. Stack|
|Military and Veterans' Affairs||Patrick J. Diegnan|
|State Government, Wagering, Tourism & Historic Preservation||James Beach|
|Transportation||Robert M. Gordon|
- Leadership, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 11, 2018.
- Unofficial List Candidates for State Senate For General Election 11/07/2017 Election, New Jersey Department of State, November 8, 2017. Accessed November 12, 2017.
- Melisurgo, Len. "Updated election results: N.J. Senate and Assembly races 2017", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, November 12, 2017.
- Legislative Roster 2016-2017 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed November 12, 2017.
- Tate, Curtis (April 5, 2018). "Gov. Phil Murphy appoints Sen. Bob Gordon to NJ utility watchdog". NorthJersey.com. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
- "BOB GORDON GETS CONFIRMED FOR BPU SEAT". New Jersey Credit Union League. April 16, 2018. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- New Jersey Legislature Committees and Membership 2018-2019 Legislative Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 11, 2018.