New Kids: Continue
|New Kids: Continue|
|Released||August 2, 2018|
|Singles from New Kids: Continue|
New Kids: Continue is the first extended play of South Korean boy band iKON. It is the third of the group's four-part album series that began with the single album New Kids: Begin and ended with the second extended play New Kids: The Final. It was released by YG Entertainment on August 2, 2018. The mini-album includes a total of five tracks. It was produced by iKON leader B.I and YG producers. The physical album comes in two versions: Red & Blue.
The lead single of the album, "Killing Me", was released with a music video on August 2, 2018. The song, a trap-dance track driven by wailing synths and a riotous beat, describes feelings after a "painful breakup"; its title was inspired by the common phrase "this is killing me". The music video conveyed the emotional devastation described in the lyrics through the use of flames, darkness, brightly hued sets, and expressive dance movements. "Freedom" was released as the second single (referred to as "sub title") of the album on August 2. It is described as a rock-infused song.
iKON held a dance cover contest for the song "Killing Me" from August 20 to September 30, 2018. Three winners were announced at the end of the contest.
In South Korea, New Kids: Continue debuted at 2 on the Gaon Album Chart. In the United States, the album was No. 4 on Billboard World Albums, with about 1,000 copies sold. In South Korea, "Killing Me" debuted at 9 on the Gaon Weekly Chart. The song debuted at No. 2 on Billboard's World Digital Song Chart, marking the group's best sales to date.
South China Morning Post praised the diversity and wild genre shift of the album but criticized it for following a predictable and standard pop formula. Billboard praised the title song "Killing Me", saying that “unlike most K-pop songs, it forgoes a titular earworm hook, choosing instead a more dramatic declaration.”
|1.||"Killing Me" (죽겠다; juggetda)||B.I||3:13|
|2.||"Freedom" (바람; balam)||Millennium||3:21|
|3.||"Only You"||Kang Uk-jin||3:32|
|4.||"Cocktail" (칵테일; kagteil)||Millennium||3:46|
|5.||"Just for You" (줄게; julge)||B.I||3:21|
|Japan Weekly Albums (Oricon)||25|
|Japan Hot Albums (Billboard Japan)||22|
|South Korean Albums (Gaon)||2|
|US Billboard Top Heatseekers||15|
|US Billboard World Albums||4|
|US Billboard Independent Albums||33|
Awards and nominations
Music program awards
|"Killing Me"||M Countdown (Mnet)||August 9, 2018|||
|Various||August 2, 2018||YG||Digital download, CD|||
- "NEW KIDS : CONTINUE". itunes.
- "iKON completes New Kids project : 'New Kids:Continue' is third EP for the popular boy band in 15 months". Korea JoongAng Daily. August 6, 2018.
- "iKON to return with new album next month". Kpop Herald. July 17, 2018.
- "iKON Releases Official Tracklist for Upcoming Album "New Kids Continue"". Mwave. July 23, 2018.
- "iKON – 'NEW KIDS:CONTINUE' TRACKLIST". YG Life. July 27, 2018.
- "iKON Makes a Dramatic Return With Haunting New Single 'Killing Me'". Billboard. August 2, 2018.
- "iKon explains meaning behind new single 'Killing Me'". Kpop Herald. August 2, 2018.
- "'Comeback D-7' iKON Reveals Teaser Poster for Sub Title Song 'FREEDOM'". YG Life. July 26, 2018.
- "iKON aims to repeat viral success with new album". Yonhap News. August 2, 2018.
- "3 winners announced for iKON dance cover contest". Kpop Herald. October 4, 2018.
- "2018년 32주차 Album Chart" [Album Chart – Week 32 of 2018 (New Kids: Continue] (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- "iKON Hit New Peak on World Digital Song Sales Chart With 'Killing Me'". Billboard. August 9, 2018.
- "2018년 32주차 Digital Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart.
- "'New Kids: Continue' by iKon is underbaked, but worth a listen [Review]". South China Morning Post. August 12, 2018.
- "iKON's 'Killing Me' earns Billboard's praise, tops iTunes charts in 24 countries". Kpop Herald. August 3, 2018.
- "iKON Tops 'M Countdown' with the Song 'KILLING ME'… 'Overwhelming Performance in Music Charts'". YG Life. August 10, 2018.