New Lisbon, Wisconsin
|New Lisbon, Wisconsin|
Location of New Lisbon, Wisconsin
|• Total||2.91 sq mi (7.54 km2)|
|• Land||2.72 sq mi (7.04 km2)|
|• Water||0.19 sq mi (0.49 km2)|
|Elevation||896 ft (273 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||2,521|
|• Density||939.0/sq mi (362.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1570225|
New Lisbon is located at (43.877032, -90.165908).
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,554 people, 631 households, and 360 families residing in the city. The population density was 939.0 inhabitants per square mile (362.5/km2). There were 720 housing units at an average density of 264.7 per square mile (102.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 82.2% White, 14.6% African American, 1.3% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.3% of the population.
There were 631 households of which 30.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.0% were married couples living together, 10.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 7.3% had a male householder with no wife present, and 42.9% were non-families. 35.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 3.00.
The median age in the city was 38.9 years. 15.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 38.1% were from 25 to 44; 27.3% were from 45 to 64; and 11.3% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 69.1% male and 30.9% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,436 people, 617 households, and 383 families residing in the city. The population density was 538.6 people per square mile (207.7/km²). There were 690 housing units at an average density of 258.8 per square mile (99.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.42% White, 0.21% African American, 0.63% Native American, 0.56% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.28% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.39% of the population.
There were 617 households out of which 27.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.5% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.8% were non-families. 32.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.3% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 27.0% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 17.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 94.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $34,479, and the median income for a family was $44,464. Males had a median income of $33,214 versus $20,625 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,165. About 6.5% of families and 10.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.3% of those under age 18 and 14.2% of those age 65 or over.
New Lisbon has a mayor-council form of government with a city administrator. The administrator has the powers previously vested in the clerk-treasurer and oversees city operations and budgets. The city continues to grow and looks at future growth, both residential and commercial.
- Marc Andreessen grew up in New Lisbon and would later create the first web browser.
- Linda Balgord, an award winning Broadway performer.
- William H. Barnes, Wisconsin State Assemblyman.
- H. J. Mortensen, Wisconsin State Assemblyman.
- Kurtwood Smith, actor, most notably played Red Forman on That '70s Show.
- Dwight A. York, Wisconsin State Assemblyman, was born in New Lisbon.
- David P. Trute, a Wisconsin stock car racer currently defending sportsman title at Dells Raceway Park
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Locations". Hoocąk Waaziija Haci Language Division, A Division of The Ho-Chunk Nation. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- New Lisbon government website
- New Lisbon Chamber of Commerce website
- Sanborn fire insurance maps: 1885 1892 1902 1916