New Martinsville, West Virginia
New Martinsville, West Virginia
Location of New Martinsville in Wetzel County, West Virginia.
|• Total||2.71 sq mi (7.02 km2)|
|• Land||2.67 sq mi (6.92 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.10 km2)|
|Elevation||623 ft (190 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,923.31/sq mi (742.68/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1544131|
The town was named after Presley Martin, an early settler.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,366 people, 2,340 households, and 1,477 families living in the city. The population density was 2,009.7 inhabitants per square mile (775.9/km2). There were 2,632 housing units at an average density of 985.8 per square mile (380.6/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 98.2% White, 0.2% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 0.3% from other races, and 0.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.6% of the population.
There were 2,340 households of which 25.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.8% were married couples living together, 12.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 36.9% were non-families. 32.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 2.78.
The median age in the city was 46.5 years. 20.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 20.9% were from 25 to 44; 30.6% were from 45 to 64; and 21.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.2% male and 52.8% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,984 people, 2,484 households, and 1,684 families living in the city. The population density was 2,157.4 people per square mile (834.1/km²). There were 2,737 housing units at an average density of 986.8 per square mile (381.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.55% White, 0.05% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.75% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.02% from other races, and 0.50% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.43% of the population.
There were 2,484 households out of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.6% were married couples living together, 11.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.2% were non-families. 28.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.86.
In the city, the population was spread out with 22.9% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 26.8% from 45 to 64, and 18.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females, there were 88.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $33,750, and the median income for a family was $40,851. Males had a median income of $37,614 versus $21,019 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,578. About 16.9% of families and 20.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.4% of those under age 18 and 15.1% of those age 65 or over.
Mayor: Steven Bohrer
1st Ward Councilman: Jeff Gieseke
2nd Ward Councilman: Joey Smith
3rd Ward Councilman: Ryan Yost
4th Ward Councilman: Steve Pallisco
5th Ward Councilman: Joel Potts
6th Ward Councilman: Iris (Deaner) Isaacs
The climate in this area is characterized by relatively high temperatures and evenly distributed precipitation throughout the year. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, New Martinsville has a Humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- Chris Booker, entertainment personality
- John Callaway, journalist
- John Murtha, Democratic Party member of the United States House of Representatives. He grew up in Pennsylvania and represented the twelfth district of that state
- Bill Stewart, former head football coach at West Virginia University
- List of cities in West Virginia
- List of cities and towns along the Ohio River
- Lewis Wetzel
- New Martinsville Bridge
- Magnolia High School
- Stage Struck (1925) movie made in New Martinsville with Gloria Swanson
- "2018 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 16, 2020.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved June 7, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. February 12, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- TOPOZONE: Fishing Creek Topo Map in Wetzel County WV; accessed October 2018.
- Hometown Locator: Zip Code 26155, accessed October 2018.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on January 12, 2012. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- Kenny, Hamill (1945). West Virginia Place Names: Their Origin and Meaning, Including the Nomenclature of the Streams and Mountains. Piedmont, WV: The Place Name Press. p. 443.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Climate Summary for New Martinsville, West Virginia
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New Martinsville, West Virginia.|