New Mexico Museum of Art
|Location||Santa Fe, New Mexico|
The New Mexico Museum of Art (formerly the Museum of Fine Arts), is the oldest art museum in the state of New Mexico. It is one of four state-run museums in Santa Fe that are part of the Museum of New Mexico system operated by the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs.
The museum is located at 107 West Palace Avenue, one block off the historic Santa Fe Plaza. Designed by Isaac Rapp and built in 1917, it is an example of Pueblo Revival Style architecture, and one of Santa Fe's best-known representations of the synthesis of Native American and Spanish Colonial design styles. The facade was based on the mission churches of Acoma, San Felipe, Cochiti, Laguna, Santa Ana and Pecos.
The museum’s art collection includes over 20,000 paintings, photographs, sculptures, prints, drawings and mixed-media works. Notable artists in the collection include Ansel Adams, Gustave Baumann, Georgia O'Keeffe, Fritz Scholder, T. C. Cannon, Bruce Nauman, Luis Jimenez, Maria Martinez, members of the Ashcan School, Los Cinco Pintores, Transcendental Painting Group, and the Taos Society of Artists.
St. Francis Auditorium
The St. Francis Auditorium, located in the New Mexico Museum of Art, is the venue for various cultural and musical organizations, including the Santa Fe Chamber Music Festival and the Santa Fe Community Orchestra. The auditorium has a seating capacity of 450. The auditorium displays several murals depicting St. Francis of Assisi which were originally designed by Donald Beauregard and completed by Carlos Vierra and Kenneth Chapman.
The museum library contains art books, periodicals, biographical files of artists whose work is collected by the museum and catalogs of the museum's exhibitions since 1917.
- Sheppard, Carl D., Creator of the Santa Fe Style: Isaac Hamilton Rapp, Architect, University of New Mexico Press, 1988 pp 83-88
- Wilson, Chris (1997). The Myth of Santa Fe: Creating a Modern Regional Tradition. University of New Mexico Press. ISBN 0826317464.
- "The New Museum of Santa Fé". The Metropolitan Museum of Art Bulletin. 13 (8): 181. August 1918. JSTOR 3253686.
- Jaques, Susan (2012). A Love for the Beautiful : Discovering America's Hidden Art Museums. Guilford, Connecticut: Globe Pequot Press. pp. 186–187. ISBN 9780762779505.
- A Report on the Cultural and Arts Survey of New Mexico. New Mexico Arts Commission. 1966. p. 60.
- Sheppard, Carl (1989). The Saint Francis Murals of Santa Fe : The Commission and the Artists. Santa Fe, New Mexico: Sunstone Press. ISBN 0865341370.
- Fromme, Babette Brandt (1981). Curator's Choice : An Introduction to the Art Museums of the U.S. New York: Crown Publishers. p. 97. ISBN 0517542005.