New Normal (business)
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (October 2012)|
New Normal is a term in business and economics that refers to financial conditions following the financial crisis of 2007-2008 and the aftermath of the 2008–2012 global recession. The term has since been used in a variety of other contexts to imply that something which was previously abnormal has become commonplace.
The term arose from the context of cautioning the belief of economists and policy makers that industrial economies would revert to their most recent means post the 2007-2008 financial crisis. The 2010 Per Jacobsson lecture delivered by the head of PIMCO, Mohamed A. El-Erian, was titled "Navigating the New Normal in Industrial Countries". In the lecture El-Erian stated that "Our use of the term was an attempt to move the discussion beyond the notion that the crisis was a mere flesh wound...instead the crisis cut to the bone. It was the inevitable result of an extraordinary, multiyear period which was anything but normal".
China's New Normal
Since 2012, China's economy has shown a marked slowdown, with growth rates declining from double digit levels (before the 2007-2009 financial crisis) to around 7% in 2014. In 2014, a statement by Xi Jinping - General Secretary of the Communist Party of China - indicated that China was entering a 'new normal' (Chinese: 新常态). This term was subsequently popularised by the press and came to refer to expectations of 7% growth rates in China for the foreseeable future. It was indicative of the Chinese government's anticipation of moderate but perhaps more stable economic growth in the medium-to-long term.
- "The New Normal is Actually Pretty Old", New York Times, January 11, 2011
- "Asia-Pacific Trade and Investment Report 2015: Supporting Participation in Value Chains", United Nations ESCAP, November, 2, 2015
- Gomstyn, Alice (15 June 2009). "Finance: Americans adapt to the 'New Normal'". ABC News.
- "Is America's high jobless rate the new normal?". BBC News Online. 10 August 2012.
- Johnson, Glen (16 October 2012). "Candidates aggressive in 2nd debate". Boston Globe.
- Saggu, A. & Anukoonwattaka, W. (2015). "China's 'New Normal': Challenges Ahead for Asia-Pacific Trade". United Nations ESCAP. SSRN .