New Pine Creek, Oregon
|New Pine Creek, Oregon|
|Unincorporated community & census-designated place (CDP)|
New Pine Creek store
|Named for||Pine Creek|
|Elevation||4,842 ft (1,476 m)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|Coordinates and elevation from United States Geological Survey|
New Pine Creek is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Lake County, Oregon, United States. Although it is unincorporated, it has a post office with a ZIP code of 97635. New Pine Creek lies on U.S. Route 395 at the Oregon–California border, just north of New Pine Creek, California, and east of Goose Lake.
West of town is the Goose Lake State Recreation Area, along Stateline Road near the lake. The north–south running Lake County Railroad passes near the recreation area. East of town is the Fremont National Forest.
Thought to be Lake County's oldest settlement, New Pine Creek was originally to be named Pine Creek after a nearby stream. However, since another community was already using that name, postal authorities preferred an alternative. The New Pine Creek post office opened in 1876. S. A. Hamersley was the first postmaster.
New Pine Creek is the southernmost settlement in the state of Oregon.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F (22.0 °C). According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, New Pine Creek has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
- "New Pine Creek". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- "Search Results for New Pine Creek". C. D. Light, L.L.C. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- Oregon Atlas & Gazetteer (7th ed.). Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. 2008. p. 84. ISBN 978-0-89933-347-2.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; Lewis L. McArthur (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 701. ISBN 0-87595-277-1.
- Moffatt, Riley Moore (1996). Population History of Western U.S. Cities and Towns, 1850–1990. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press. p. 213. ISBN 978-0-8108-3033-2.
- Climate Summary for New Pine Creek, Oregon
|This Lake County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|