New Riders of the Purple Sage (album)
|New Riders of the Purple Sage|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||Recorded and mixed at Wally Heider Recording, San Francisco, December 1970 – January 1971|
|Producer||New Riders of the Purple Sage|
|New Riders of the Purple Sage chronology|
|Jerry Garcia chronology|
|Christgau's Record Guide||B+|
|The Music Box|||
|The Village Voice||A–|
New Riders of the Purple Sage is the self-titled debut album by the American country rock band the New Riders of the Purple Sage. It was released by Columbia Records in 1971, and reached number 39 on the Billboard charts.
New Riders of the Purple Sage is the only studio album by the New Riders to feature co-founder Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead on pedal steel guitar. He is also featured on the live album Vintage NRPS.
All songs written by John Dawson.
- "I Don't Know You" – 2:26
- "Whatcha Gonna Do" – 3:17
- "Portland Woman" – 3:36
- "Henry" – 2:36
- "Dirty Business" – 7:56
- "Glendale Train" – 3:00
- "Garden of Eden" – 4:32
- "All I Ever Wanted" – 4:37
- "Last Lonely Eagle" – 5:12
- "Louisiana Lady" – 3:03
- Bonus tracks
These songs were recorded live at the Fillmore West and included in the 2003 CD reissue:
- New Riders of the Purple Sage
- John Dawson – acoustic guitar, vocals
- David Nelson – electric guitar, acoustic guitar, mandolin, vocals
- Dave Torbert – bass, acoustic guitar, vocals
- Jerry Garcia – pedal steel guitar, banjo
- Spencer Dryden – drums, percussion
- Additional musicians
- Mickey Hart – drums, percussion on "Dirty Business", "Last Lonely Eagle"
- Commander Cody – piano on "Dirty Business", "Last Lonely Eagle"
- Technical personnel
- New Riders of the Purple Sage – production
- Stephen Barncard – engineering, executive production
- Phil Lesh – executive production
- Ellen Burke – technician
- Michael Ferguson, Alton Kelly – cover art
- Eder, Bruce. New Riders of the Purple Sage at AllMusic
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "Consumer Guide '70s: N". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 089919026X. Retrieved March 8, 2019 – via robertchristgau.com.
- Metzger, John. New Riders of the Purple Sage review, The Music Box, August 2003
- Christgau, Robert (October 14, 1971). "Consumer Guide (19)". The Village Voice. New York. Retrieved April 14, 2013.
- "Major Releases" partial discography on NRPS official website nrps.net
- New Riders of the Purple Sage on deaddisc.com
- McNally, Dennis (2002). A Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead. New York: Broadway Books. p. 384. ISBN 0-7679-1186-5.
- Jackson, Blair (1999). Garcia: An American Life. New York: Penguin Books. pp. 211–212. ISBN 0-14-029199-7.
- Scott, John W.; Dolgushkin, Mike; Nixon, Stu (1999). DeadBase XI: The Complete Guide to Grateful Dead Song Lists. Cornish, New Hampshire: DeadBase. p. 119. ISBN 1-877657-22-0.