|Single by The Damned|
|from the album Damned Damned Damned|
|Released||22 October 1976|
|The Damned singles chronology|
"New Rose" is the first single by British punk rock group the Damned, released on 22 October 1976 on Stiff Records. It was the first single by a British punk group, and was released in the Netherlands, Germany and France in 1977.
Written by guitarist Brian James, "New Rose" was also included on the group's full-length debut album, Damned Damned Damned. The deadpan intro by singer Dave Vanian ("Is she really going out with him?") parodied the 1964 Shangri-Las song "Leader of the Pack".
"New Rose" was reissued in Stiff's Damned 4 Pack mail-order set. Original copies had a press-out centre, while reissues had a solid centre. Copies from the four-pack had matrix details: "Bilbo tape" handwritten and "AY 50332" printed. A CD version was issued in the Stiff Singles 1976–1977 boxed set by Castle Music in 2003. "Help!" also appeared on Hits Greatest Stiffs.
The song was produced by Nick Lowe. It was recorded at Pathway Studios in London, recorded in one day, according to drummer Rat Scabies. and "Nick Lowe may have taken an extra day to mix it".
"New Rose" was released on 22 October 1976. James stated that Captain Sensible initially wanted the song "I Fall" as the first single. Sensible later said that "I Fall" would have been "even more gobsmacking because it's so snotty and fast"
Guns N' Roses covered the track on their 1993 covers album "The Spaghetti Incident?". When asked about the Guns N' Roses cover, Captain Sensible said that he had not heard it, as he does not listen to music released after 1980.
- "New Rose" (James) – 2:46
- "Help!" (Lennon–McCartney) – 1:43
- Producer: Nick Lowe
- Bradley, Michael (15 March 2016). "The 10 best punk rock singles, by The Undertones' Michael Bradley". TeamRock. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Damned Damned Damned" by Ned Raggett, from Allmusic.com; URL accessed 10 March 2007
- Robb 2012, p. 243.
- Robb 2012, p. 244.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "The Spaghetti Incident?". AllMusic. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Cooper, Leonie (19 March 2015). "The Damned attend world premiere of biographical documentary at SXSW". NME. Archived from the original on 11 July 2015. Retrieved 14 July 2015.