New South Wales 43 class locomotive
4303 passes the wheat silos at Temora
in January 1966
These locomotives were unique in Australia in having Alco power units in GE Transportation Systems designed bodies, a legacy of the former Alco-GE partnership which was dissolved in 1953. Although their design originated in the United States, only two similar UM20 cab and two booster units were ever built in that country, for the Erie Railroad.
The 43 class were initially used on the Main Western line from Sydney to Orange, prior to electrification of the line to Lithgow in June 1957, appearing regularly on the Central West Express. Subsequently, they were transferred to Broadmeadow Locomotive Depot operating from Gosford to the Queensland border via both the North Coast and Main North lines. They also saw service on the Main South line.
The 43 class were not popular with the train crews, but they did pave the way for a long line of Alco powered locomotives. They did receive some improvements in the late 1950s with water cooling of the turbo-superchargers replacing the air-cooled units.
The last was withdrawn in October 1979 with 4306 placed by the Public Transport Commission in the custody of the New South Wales Rail Transport Museum. It is now a designated NSW heritage item. It was transferred to Thirlmere in March 1980. In 1986, the Illawarra branch of the Rail Transport Museum commenced overhauling 4306 at Yallah. The locomotive returned to traffic in June 1996 and has since been used extensively on charters in New South Wales as well as interstate to Brisbane and Melbourne.
4301 - Scrapped
4302 - Scrapped
4303 - Scrapped
4304 - Scrapped
4305 - Scrapped
4306 - Preserved , Operational
- A Century Plus of Locomotives Australian Railway Historical Society, NSW Division 1965
- 43 Class Vicsig.net
- Oberg, Leon (1984). Locomotives of Australia. Reed Books. p. 229. ISBN 0-7301-0005-7.
- Clark, Peter (1973). An Australian Diesel Locomotive Pocketbook. Australian Railway Historical Society, New South Wales Division. ISBN 0-909650-02-0.
- Oberg, Leon (2007). Locomotives of Australia 1854-2007. Rosenberg Publishing. ISBN 978-1-877058-54-7.
- 43 Class Railpage
- RailCorp S170 Heritage & Conservation Register RailCorp
- Locomotive, Diesel 4306 NSW Government Environment & Heritage
- Railway Digest December 1984 page 418
- "The Museum Scene" Roundhouse April 1990 page 25
- "Train Delays Take Shine Off Open Day" Railway Digest August 1996 page 8
- New South Wales Rail System Locomotives. Sydney: Archives Section, State Rail Authority of New South Wales. 1984.
Media related to New South Wales 43 class locomotives at Wikimedia Commons