Department of Education (New South Wales)
|Government Department overview|
|Jurisdiction||New South Wales|
|Headquarters||35 Bridge Street, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Government Department executives||
The New South Wales Department of Education, a department of the Government of New South Wales, is responsible for primary schools, secondary schools and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) colleges. In addition, the department oversees the provision of pre-school, adult, migrant and higher education in the state. In May 2015, the Department assumed the responsibility of banning books from schools.
The head of the Department is its Director-General, presently Dr Michele Bruniges. The Department reports to the Minister for Education, currently Adrian Piccoli; supported by the Assistant Minister for Education and the Minister for Early Childhood Education, currently Leslie Williams; and the Minister for Sport, presently Stuart Ayres. Ultimately the ministers are responsible to the Parliament of New South Wales.
With a budget of more than A$8 billion, over 2,240 schools and 130 TAFE campuses with a total enrolments of almost 1 million students, DET represents roughly one-quarter of the State's total budget each year.
Directors-General of Education
- Peter Board (8 February 1905 - 31 December 1922)
- Stephen Smith (1 January 1923 - 1 August 1930)
- G. Ross Thomas (2 August 1930 - 21 September 1940)
- John McKenzie(22 September 1940 - 29 November 1952)
- Sir Harold Wyndham (1 December 1952 - 31 December 1968)
- David Verco (1 January 1969 - 3 July 1972)
- John Buggie (4 July 1972 - 18 February 1977)
- Douglas Swan (21 February 1977 - 8 July 1985)
- Robert Winder (10 July 1985 - 29 April 1988)
- Fenton Sharpe (30 April 1988 - 12 November 1991)
- Ken Boston (2 January 1992 - 12 July 2002)
- Jan McLelland (22 October 2002 - 22 January 2004)
- Andrew Cappie-Wood (22 January 2004 - 14 April 2007)
- Michael Coutts-Trotter (14 April 2007 - 28 March 2011)
- Michele Bruniges (7 September 2011 - )
- Department of Education Building
- Commonwealth (Federal) Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
- List of government schools in New South Wales
- "Three Christian books banned from SRE curriculum in NSW". Bible Society of Australia. 1990. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "NSW Education Act 1990". Parliament of New South Wales. 1990. Retrieved 6 May 2007.
- NSW Department of Education and Communities webpage
- NSW Public Schools webpage
- NSW TAFE webpage
- DET Portal