|Town of New Tecumseth|
Straw bales near Alliston
|• Mayor||Rick Milne|
|• MPs||Terry Dowdall|
|• MPPs||Jim Wilson|
|• Land||274.21 km2 (105.87 sq mi)|
|• Density||151.1/km2 (391/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Postal code FSA|
|Area code(s)||705, 289 and 905|
New Tecumseth is a town in Simcoe County, in south-central Ontario, Canada. While it is not officially a part of the Greater Toronto Area, it is counted, in terms of the census, as being a part of the Toronto Census Metropolitan Area.
The municipality was created through the amalgamation of the municipal governments of several communities with the Township of Tecumseth. The name 'New Tecumseth' was chosen because a Town of Tecumseh already exists in Essex County. The borders of the old township, with some adjustments along the eastern edge, and with the addition of all of Alliston, are the borders of the new town.
The town also includes the smaller communities of Allimil, Green Briar, Nicolston, Penville, Randall, Rich Hill, Schomberg Heights and Thompsonville.
New Tecumseth has eight elementary schools and two area high schools:
- Alliston Union PS (Alliston)
- Banting Memorial High School (Alliston)
- Boyne River PS (Alliston)
- Ernest Cumberland ES (Alliston)
- FX O'Reilly Catholic School (Tottenham)
- Monsignor Ronan Catholic School (Beeton)
- St. Paul's Catholic School (Alliston)
- St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Secondary School (Tottenham)
- Tecumseth Beeton ES (Beeton)
- Tecumseth South Central PS (Tottenham)
- Tottenham PS (Tottenham)
|Canada census – New Tecumseth community profile|
|Population:||34,242 (+13.3% from 2011)||30,234 (+9.1% from 2006)|
|Land area:||274.21 km2 (105.87 sq mi)||274.18 km2 (105.86 sq mi)|
|Population density:||124.9/km2 (323/sq mi)||110.3/km2 (286/sq mi)|
|Median age:||42.7 (M: 41.6, F: 43.8)|
|Total private dwellings:||13,191||11,642|
|Median household income:||$85,988|
|References: 2016 2011 earlier|
- Kate Aitken, influential cooking and homemaking expert, television and radio broadcaster, born in Beeton. A plaque was placed in Beeton Park in her honour.
- Dr Sir Frederick Banting, physician and scientist born in Alliston. Discovered insulin with his assistant, Charles Best.
- Sir William Osler, physician and professor of medicine was born in Bond Head (formerly in Tecumseth and now part of Bradford West Gwillimbury). He has been called 'the Father of Modern Medicine'.
- Deanne Rose, Olympic medal-winning soccer player was born in New Tecumseth.
- Jim Rutherford, retired NHL goaltender and Stanley-Cup-winning General Manager was born in Beeton.
- "Census Profile, 2016 Census: New Tecumseth". Statistics Canada. Retrieved July 5, 2019.
- "New Tecumseth census profile". 2011 Census of Population. Statistics Canada. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "2016 Community Profiles". 2016 Canadian Census. Statistics Canada. February 21, 2017. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "2011 Community Profiles". 2011 Canadian Census. Statistics Canada. July 5, 2013. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "2001 Community Profiles". 2001 Canadian Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012.
- "And now here's Mrs. A... Kate Aitken's Story". virtualmuseum.ca. Retrieved 27 April 2015.