|Town of New Tecumseth|
Straw bales near Alliston
|• Mayor||Rick Milne|
|• MPs||Kellie Leitch|
|• MPPs||Jim Wilson|
|• Land||274.21 km2 (105.87 sq mi)|
|• Density||124.9/km2 (323/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Postal code FSA|
|Area code(s)||705, 289 and 905|
New Tecumseth is a town in Simcoe County, in south-central Ontario, Canada. While it is not officially a part of the Greater Toronto Area, it is counted, in terms of the census, as being a part of the Toronto Census Metropolitan Area.
The municipality was created through the amalgamation of the municipal governments of several communities with the Township of Tecumseth. The name 'New Tecumseth' was chosen because a Town of Tecumseh already exists in Essex County. The borders of the old township, with some adjustments along the eastern edge, and with the addition of all of Alliston, are the borders of the new town.
The town also includes the smaller communities of Allimil, Green Briar, Nicolston, Penville, Randall, Rich Hill, Schomberg Heights and Thompsonville.
New Tecumseth has eight elementary schools and two area high schools:
- Alliston Union PS (Alliston)
- Banting Memorial High School (Alliston)
- Boyne River PS (Alliston)
- Ernest Cumberland ES (Alliston)
- FX O'Reilly Catholic School (Tottenham)
- Monsignor Ronan Catholic School (Beeton)
- St. Paul's Catholic School (Alliston)
- St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Secondary School (Tottenham)
- Tecumseth Beeton ES (Beeton)
- Tecumseth South Central PS (Tottenham)
- Tottenham PS (Tottenham)
- Population: 30,234
- % Change (2006-2011): 9.1
- Dwellings: 11,642
- Area (km²): 274.18
- Density (persons per km²): 110.3
- Sir Frederick Banting, physician and scientist. He was a co-developer of insulin.
- Sir William Osler, physician and professor of medicine. He has been called 'the Father of Modern Medicine'.
- Jim Rutherford, journeyman NHL goaltender and Stanley-Cup-winning General Manager.
- Deanne Rose, Olympic medal-winning soccer player.