|Town of New Tecumseth|
Straw bales near Alliston
|• Mayor||Rick Milne|
|• MPs||Kellie Leitch|
|• MPPs||Jim Wilson|
|• Land||274.21 km2 (105.87 sq mi)|
|• Density||124.9/km2 (323/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Postal code FSA||L9R|
|Area code(s)||705, 289 and 905|
New Tecumseth is a town in Simcoe County, in south-central Ontario, Canada. While it is not officially a part of the Greater Toronto Area, it is counted, in terms of the census, as being a part of the Toronto Census Metropolitan Area.
The main centres in New Tecumseth are the communities of Alliston, Tottenham, and Beeton. The municipality was created through the amalgamation the municipal governments of these communities and that of the Township of Tecumseth. The name 'New Tecumseth' was chosen because a Town of Tecumseh already exists in Essex County. The borders of the old township, with some adjustments along the eastern edge, and with the addition of all of Alliston, are the borders of the new town.
The town also includes the smaller communities of Allimil, Green Briar, Nicolston, Penville, Randall, Rich Hill, Schomberg Heights and Thompsonville.
- Population: 30,234
- % Change (2006-2011): 9.1
- Dwellings: 11,642
- Area (km²): 274.18
- Density (persons per km²): 110.3
- Sir Frederick Banting, physician and scientist. He was a co-developer of insulin.
- Sir William Osler, physician and professor of medicine. He has been called 'the Father of Modern Medicine'.
- Jim Rutherford, journeyman NHL goaltender and Stanley-Cup-winning General Manager.
- Deanne Rose, Olympic medal-winning soccer player.
|Adjala-Tosorontio||Bradford West Gwillimbury|