New Times Broward-Palm Beach
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Owner(s)||Voice Media Group|
|Headquarters||2450 Hollywood Blvd, Ste 301-A
Hollywood, Florida 33020 USA
New Times Broward-Palm Beach is an alternative weekly newspaper; it is part of the Voice Media Group chain. The paper split off from the Miami New Times in 1997, under the auspices of then editor-in-chief Tom Walsh. Walsh was succeeded by Chuck Strouse, who was replaced in 2005 with Tony Ortega. In March 2007, Ortega was appointed as editor-in-chief of the company's flagship paper, The Village Voice. In April 2007, Robert Meyerowitz was named editor-in-chief, though he departed the following May to take an endowed chair at University of Alaska. In 2009, Eric Barton was hired as editor; in June 2012, he left the company when editorship of the paper was combined with that of Miami New Times, where Strouse is editor. Strouse is currently the editor of both papers. In September 2012, Village Voice Media executives Scott Tobias, Christine Brennan and Jeff Mars bought Village Voice Media's papers and associated web properties from its founders and formed Voice Media Group.
The editorial staff is composed of Chuck Strouse (editor); Deirdra Funcheon (managing editor); Ryan Pfeffer (music editor); Chris Joseph (news blogger), Ray Downs and Kyle Swenson (staff writers); Rebecca Dittmar (arts & culture editor); and Laurie Charles (clubs editor).
The newspapers' reporters have won hundreds of journalism prizes, including the Livingston Award for Young Journalists, the Sigma Delta Chi Award, the Gerald Loeb Award, Investigative Reporter & Editor (IRE) honors, and numerous AltWeekly Awards.
- "About New Times". Denver, Colorado: New Times Inc. Archived from the original on October 12, 1999.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Audit Bureau of Circulations. December 31, 2014. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- "Veteran Journo Named Editor of New Times Broward-Palm Beach". Association of Alternative Newsweeklies. Retrieved 2007-08-13.
- "Village Voice Media Execs Acquire The Company’s Famed Alt Weeklies, Form New Holding Company". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Awards & Recognition Broward-Palm Beach New Times — 2007". Village Voice Media. Retrieved 2007-08-13.