New Trier Township, Cook County, Illinois
|New Trier Township|
Location in Cook County
|• Total||16.30 sq mi (42.21 km2)|
|• Land||16.00 sq mi (41.43 km2)|
|• Water||0.29 sq mi (0.76 km2) 1.80%|
|• Estimate (2016)||56,131|
|• Density||3,465/sq mi (1,337.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
The township contains New Trier High School, but the borders of the school district do not line up exactly with the borders of the township.
The township covers approximately 16 square miles (41 km2). The township comprises the villages of Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, and portions of Glenview and Northfield. There is also a small unincorporated area near Winnetka known as Indian Hill because of the nearby country club of the same name.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 56,716 people, 20,156 households, and 15,960 families residing in the township. The population density was 3,540/sq mi. There are 20,809 housing units. The racial makeup of the township was 92.1% White, 0.7% African American, 5.7% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.7% of the population.
There were 20,156 households out of which 42.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.7% were married couples living together, 5.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.8% were non-families. 18.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.80 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the township the population was spread out with 30.9% under the age of 18, and 15.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41.6 years.
The median income for a household in the township was $122,641, and the median income for a family was $144,976. Males had a median income of $100,000+ versus $60,000 for females. The per capita income for the township was $70,331. 1.2% of families were below the poverty line.
- Angel Fund - provides emergency assistance to pay for food, shelter, medical care, and other necessities. Funded fully by private donations, it is utilized by those who are not eligible for assistance from other funds.
- Access to Care - a suburban Cook County program that helps uninsured and underinsured residents get discounted medical services and prescription medication.
- Assessor's Assistance - the Township Assessor's Office assists taxpayers with property tax issues.
- Child Care Scholarships
- Dial-a-Ride - provides discounted taxi fares to senior citizens traveling within the township.
- Employment Counseling
- Escorted Transportation
- General Assistance and Emergency Aid
- Handicap Parking Tags
- Peer Jury - provides an alternative to the traditional criminal justice system for non-violent first-time juvenile offenders.
- Voter Registration
- Trier in Germany
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): New Trier township, Cook County, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- http://www.indianhillclub.org/ Indian Hill Club Website
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.