New Ulaanbaatar International Airport
|New Ulaanbaatar International Airport
Улаанбаатар хотын олон улсын шинэ нисэх онгоцны буудал
Rendering of the proposed look
|Owner||Government of Mongolia|
|Operator||Civil Aviation Authority of Mongolia|
|Elevation AMSL||1,366 m / 4,481 ft|
The New Ulaanbaatar International Airport (Mongolian: Улаанбаатар хотын олон улсын шинэ нисэх онгоцны буудал ), or the Khöshig Valley Airport (Mongolian: Хөшигийн хөндийн нисэх буудал) is a new international airport presently under construction 52 km south of Ulaanbaatar city center in Sergelen sum, Töv Province, Mongolia. It will serve Ulaanbaatar and its metropolitan area..
Originally hoped to be open in 2016, the airport is now slated to receive its first air traffic in August 2018. The airport is slated to replace and obtain the names of the current Chinggis Khaan International Airport.
The airport is designed with the capacity of up to three million passengers per year, and has sufficient space for a possible future expansion of up to twelve million passengers yearly. It will also be equipped with a 24-hour all-weather air traffic control system. It is assumed that on average, the airport will take roughly 2.5 million passengers annually. In comparison, the current airport (Chinggis Khaan International Airport, the largest airport in Mongolia) serves about 900,000 passengers per year (2011 figures). Cargo capacity is set to increase 10-fold.
Initial planning for the new airport was done in 2006 with Japanese assistance.
In May 2008, a ¥28.8 billion (US$385 million) 40-year soft loan agreement at 0.2% interest was signed between the Government of Mongolia and the Japan Bank for International Cooperation to build a new international airport. The loan requires that the project is to be carried out by Japanese Consultants and Contractors however the materials and equipment the Contractors use can be up to 70% from any country. Between 2009 and 2011, Azusa Sekkei and Oriental Consultants Joint Venture made the design and bid documentation for the airport. In 2011, a call for bids was announced for the construction of the airport, with the Mitsubishi-Chiyoda Joint Venture (MCJV) successful in the Technical Bidding. An extended Price review and Contract negotiation was completed on 10 May 2013 when the main construction contract was signed between MCJV and the Civil Aviation Authority of Mongolia .
The final amount of loans from the Japanese Government for the development of the airport totaled ¥65.6 billion (US$600 million), to be paid over 40 years.
The project was begun with a ground breaking ceremony. Taking place on 22 April 2012, the first work started was a site flood protection scheme. Other works under way were the construction of the electric power line from Nalaikh.
Construction started in May 2013, and was finished in January 2017, the flights will commence in May 2018. The New Ulaanbaatar International Airport Construction Project Steering Committee visited the project construction work site on 11 September 2013 to see the progress of construction work. The concrete pouring work for the control tower started on 13 September 2013.
On 29 January 2013, the airport's electric substation construction was completed and connected to the Mongolian central grid. The end of the main construction activities was on January 2017, with the Japanese side handing over the project to the Civil Aviation Authority of Mongolia.
The airport is connected to the highway to the capital. Moreover, on June 2016, Aeroexpress made a decision to build the first international route from Ulaanbatar to the airport using the railbus, compared to the current Aeroexpress routes. The first stage is due to finish in 2017 and full completition is planned in 2030.
The construction project name for the airport is the New Ulaanbaatar International Airport or NUBIA. Alternative names given in the media include Chinggis Khaan International Airport, Khöshig Valley International Airport, Khöshig International Airport and Ulaanbaatar Khöshig International Airport.
- Temporary names
- Progress being made in Khushigt Valley international airport construction
- АВИА Порт
- "Japan ODA Loan for Mongolia". JICA. Retrieved 2 May 2008.
- "Mongolia starts to build new int'l airport". China Daily. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- gogo.mn Хөшигийн нисэх буудлыг "Мицубиши Чиёодо" барина
- "Khushigt Valley Airport will be operational in 2016". UB Post. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- Б, Бямбасүрэн (2018-08-21). "ТАНИЛЦ: Онцлох бүтээн байгуулалт буюу ШИНЭ НИСЭХ БУУДЛЫН ажлын явц". Ikon.mn. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Б, Билгүүн (2017-07-19). "Хөшигийн хөндийн онгоцны буудал 2018 оны наймдугаар сард ашиглалтад орно". Ikon.mn. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Ulaanbaatar airport
-  Contract for new international standard airport signed
- Ulaanbaatar to Have New International Airport
- "Construction Begins on New Airport" (PDF). Mongol Messenger. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "New Airport Started". Infomongolia.com. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- The New Ulaanbaatar International Airport Construction Project Government Steering Committee Site Visit
- Control Tower First Structural Concrete Pour
- Төвийн эрчим хүчний системээс байнгын эрчим хүчтэй холбогдлоо
- Б, Манлай. "ФОТО: Хөшигийн хөндийн ХУРДНЫ замыг барьж эхэллээ". 2016-05-06. Ikon.mn. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "Project Web Site". MCAA. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "facebook site". MCAA.