New Vernon, New Jersey
New Vernon, New Jersey
|Elevation||338 ft (103 m)|
|GNIS feature ID||0878755|
New Vernon is an unincorporated community located within Harding Township in Morris County, New Jersey, United States. The community is within the boundaries of Harding Township along with a portion of Green Village. It is the location of the governmental offices for Harding Township. The area is served as United States Postal Service ZIP code 07976 which is identified as being New Vernon.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with New Vernon include:
- William O. Baker (1915–2005), chairman of Bell Laboratories.
- Geraldine Rockefeller Dodge (1882–1973), philanthropist, the first woman invited to judge for the Westminster Kennel Club, a founder of the Seeing Eye Foundation, Saint Hubert's at Giralda, and the Morris and Essex Dog Club; daughter of William Avery Rockefeller, Jr.
- Marcellus Hartley Dodge, Sr. (1881–1963), philanthropist, chairman of Remington Arms Company, president of the Y.M.C.A., and the founder of the Spring Valley Hounds and its horse show; grandson of William E. Dodge Sr. a founder of Phelps, Dodge, and Company, a United States congressman (1866–67), and founding member of the Young Men's Christian Association in the United States.
- Justin Gimelstob (born 1977), professional tennis player.
- Kerry Kittles (born 1974), guard for the New Jersey Nets from 1996–2004.
- Eric Mangini (born 1971), head coach of the New York Jets from 2005–2008.
- Bo Sullivan (1937-2000), chairman of the New Jersey Turnpike Authority and a Republican Party politician who sought the nomination for Governor of New Jersey in the 1981 primary.
- Frederick T. van Beuren, Jr. (1875–1943), physician and surgeon, who served as a hospital and medical school administrator.
- DP-1 Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010from the 2010 Demographic Profile Data for ZCTA5 07976, United States Census Bureau. Accessed March 2, 2016.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed March 2, 2016.
- "New Vernon". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- Locality Search, State of New Jersey. Accessed June 8, 2016.
- The Most Expensive ZIP Codes 2006, Forbes magazine April 21, 2006
- Kamin, Arthur Z. "State Becomes a Part of Celebrating Marconi's Achievements", The New York Times, October 23, 1994. Accessed July 6, 2008. "One of the council members is from New Jersey – Dr. William O. Baker of New Vernon, the retired chairman of AT&T Bell Laboratories at Murray Hill."
- Seeges, Sandy. "Last Open for Gimelstob: New Vernon tennis player has tough match in Roddick"[permanent dead link], Daily Record (Morristown), August 28, 2007. Accessed September 3, 2007. "Gimelstob, of New Vernon, will exhibit the same passion he had as a youngster when he meets fifth-seeded Andy Roddick in opening-round action at Arthur Ashe Stadium tonight."
- Kwoh, Leslie. "Jets coach Eric Mangini buys $4 million home in Morris County", The Star-Ledger, July 30, 2008. Accessed March 2, 2016. "Mangini and his wife, Julie, bought the six-bedroom home in the New Vernon section of town last Wednesday and have already begun moving their belongings from their home in Garden City, N.Y."
- Staff. "Joseph Sullivan, 63; Led Turnpike Unit", The New York Times, March 16, 2000. Accessed December 30, 2017. "Joseph Sullivan, a New Jersey businessman who ran for governor and later served as chairman of the New Jersey Turnpike Authority, died Monday at a hospital in Morristown, N.J. He was 63.... Mr. Sullivan, who lived in New Vernon, N.J., spent $1 million of his own money and came in third in the Republican primary in 1981, behind Thomas Kean, who became governor, and former Paterson Mayor Lawrence Kramer."