New Waverly, Texas
New Waverly, Texas
|Coordinates: 30°32′21″N 95°28′48″W / 30.53917°N 95.48000°W|
|• Total||2.22 sq mi (5.76 km2)|
|• Land||2.21 sq mi (5.72 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.04 km2)|
|Elevation||354 ft (108 m)|
|• Density||485.05/sq mi (187.31/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1363803|
New Waverly is a city in Walker County, Texas, United States. The population was 914 at the 2020 census.
New Waverly is located at 30°32′21″N 95°28′48″W / 30.53917°N 95.48000°W (30.539226, –95.479862).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.8 km2), of which, 2.2 square miles (5.8 km2) of it is land and 0.44% is water.
In 2002 the New Waverly area's largest employer was Louisiana-Pacific's large plywood-manufacturing mill. As of that year most residents traveled to Conroe, Huntsville, and/or Willis to buy goods.
The Sam Houston National Forest is located nearby and operates a ranger station in the vicinity.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
|Black or African American (NH)||226||24.73%|
|Native American or Alaska Native (NH)||4||0.44%|
|Some Other Race (NH)||2||0.22%|
|Hispanic or Latino||133||14.55%|
As of the 2020 United States census, there were 914 people, 329 households, and 215 families residing in the city.
As of the census of 2000, there were 950 people, 378 households, and 255 families residing in the city. The population density was 423.4 people per square mile (163.7/km2). There were 418 housing units at an average density of 186.3 per square mile (72.0/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 62.21% White, 31.47% African American, 0.32% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 0.11% Pacific Islander, 4.00% from other races, and 1.79% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.68% of the population.
There were 378 households, out of which 32.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.0% were married couples living together, 19.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.5% were non-families. 30.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 14.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 27.8% under the age of 18, 10.1% from 18 to 24, 26.2% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 14.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $29,583, and the median income for a family was $36,250. Males had a median income of $25,938 versus $17,885 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,475. About 17.4% of families and 21.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 32.2% of those under age 18 and 23.9% of those age 65 or over.
According to the most recent census (2022), there are 1,029 people (based on the 2018 U.S Census count), 432 households, and a 2.93 average family size of those who reside in New Waverly, Tx. The population density is 466.10 per square mile. The racial demographic is 66.55% Caucasian, 30.74% African American, 1.23% two or more, 1.05% Asian, and 0.44% of Other races.
Based on 2019 research of residents living in poverty there 32.3% (31.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 33.9% for Black residents, 31.7% for Hispanic or Latino residents). The median household income in New Waverly, TX is $33,700. In 2019, the place with the highest median household income in New Waverly, TX was Census Tract 7903 with a value of $57,538, followed by Census Tract 7902 and N/A, with respective values of $52,237 and N/A.
32.3% of the population for whom poverty status is determined in New Waverly, TX (367 out of 1.14k people) live below the poverty line, a number that is higher than the national average of 12.3%. The largest demographic living in poverty are Males 18 - 24, followed by Females 25 - 34.
The Citizenship rate as of 2019, 99.6% of New Waverly, TX residents were US citizens, which is higher than the national average of 93.4%. In 2018, the percentage of US citizens in New Waverly, TX was 98.7%, meaning that the rate of citizenship has been increasing.
The City of New Waverly is served by the New Waverly Independent School District.
Gulf Coast Trades Center, a charter school specializing in vocational training for at-risk youth, is located in proximity to New Waverly.
Residents of New Waverly ISD (and therefore New Waverly) are served by the Lone Star College System (formerly North Harris-Montgomery Community College).
- ^ "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 7, 2020.
- ^ a b "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "What is Rural?," Rural Texas in Transition. Window on State Government.
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- ^ "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved 2022-05-25.
- ^ https://www.census.gov/[not specific enough to verify]
- ^ "About the Hispanic Population and its Origin". www.census.gov. Retrieved 18 May 2022.
- ^ "We can be reached at: Archived 2011-12-03 at the Wayback Machine" Gulf Coast Trades Center. Retrieved on December 8, 2011. "Gulf Coast Trades Center / Raven School 143 Forest Service Rd. 233 New Waverly, TX 77358"
- ^ "Education Service Center, Region VI Archived 2011-11-17 at the Wayback Machine." (Map) Educational Service Center 6. Retrieved on December 8, 2011.
- ^ Texas Education Code, Sec. 130.191. LONE STAR COLLEGE SYSTEM DISTRICT SERVICE AREA..