New York Area Bisexual Network
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
New York Area Bisexual Network (NYABN) is a central communications network for bisexual & bi-friendly groups and resources in the five boroughs (Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island) of New York City and the surrounding Tri-State area. The mission of the New York Area Bisexual Network is to facilitate the development of a cohesive bisexual community in the New York Area. The network promotes bisexual visibility, works to protect the bisexual community from discrimination and biphobia and assists and empowers the individual community members, their families and friends to live full, rich, safe and happy lives.
NYABN provides listings of groups, events and general information of interest to the local bisexual community as well as providing links to Regional, National and International Groups and Events on its website and phone-line. Additionally NYABN has a Bisexual Speakers Bureau, coordinates the Bisexual-Information Phone-Line, keeps up the Bisexual Community PO Box, works with Bialogue an NYC based bisexual activist/political group, hosts various groups, meetings and events of interest to the entire bisexual community, helps new groups form and coordinates arrangements for the Bisexual Contingent(s) at NYC's annual LGBT PrideFest and Parade each June.
After the Stonewall riots in June 1969 Brenda Howard, a bisexual woman who'd previously been active in the anti-war and feminist movements, both organized a rally one month after the riots and then co-ordinated the very first Gay Pride in June 1970, commemorating the first anniversary of Stonewall. Howard continued to be active in the LGBT community in New York during the 70s and 80s whilst the bisexual community in the Tri-State area of New York, New Jersey & Connecticut grew larger, more active and more diverse. In the 1980s regional bisexual networks started to form such as Boston's highly successful East Coast Bisexual Network (ECBN), now the Bisexual Resource Center (BRC) and the Bay Area Bisexual Network. In 1987 Brenda Howard was involved in setting up the New York Area Bisexual Network
- American Institute of Bisexuality
- BiNet USA
- Bisexual American history
- Bisexual community
- Bisexual Resource Center
- Brenda Howard
- Tucker, Naomi (1995). Bisexual Politics: Theories, Queries, Visions. Routledge. p. 335. ISBN 1560238690.
- "Robyn Ochs Receives Brenda Howard Award from PFLAG Queens Chapter". Bi Magazine. Feb 5, 2012. Archived from the original on 2013-07-31. Retrieved 1 February 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Official website
- BiNet USA
- Bisexual Resource Center (BRC)
- Bisexual Foundation
- New York Area Bisexual Network (NYABN) on MySpace
- Bi-Perspective: NYC social, discussion and support group
- Bialogue = Bisexual + Dialogue: NYC based activist/political group
- BiRequest: NYC discussion group for bisexual and bi-friendly people