New York City Department of Design and Construction
The official logo of the New York City Department of Design and Construction
|Jurisdiction||New York City|
|Headquarters||30-30 Thomson Avenue|
Long Island City, NY 11101
New York City Department of Design and Construction (DDC) is the department of the government of New York City that builds many of the civic facilities in New York City. As the City’s primary capital construction project manager, they provide new or renovated facilities such as firehouses, libraries, police precincts, courthouses and manage the City's sewer systems, bioswales and water mains. To manage this portfolio, valued at over $15 billion, they partner with other City agencies, as well as with architects and consultants.
DDC staff of almost 1,400 delivers public buildings and infrastructure construction projects in all five boroughs.
Formed in 1996 by NYC's then-Mayor, Rudy Giuliani, the DDC's function was to unify the Department of Transportation's street construction program, the Department of Environmental Protection's water main and sewer construction program and the Department of General Service's vast building program, including construction of Police, Fire and Sanitation buildings, correctional facilities, libraries, cultural institutions and other municipal structures. 
Since being founded, the DDC has completed over 4,100 infrastructure and public building projects. Notable work includes the reconstructions of Columbus Circle and Times Square Plaza, restoration of the Bronx-Manhattan High Bridge, construction of the visitor's center at MoMA PS1, construction of the Queens Botanical Garden - New York City's first civic LEED Platinum facility, renovations at Queens Museum, and restorations at New York City Hall. 
- "Contact DDC - Department of Design and Construction". Nyc.gov. 2011-02-16. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- New York City Charter § 1200; "There shall be a department of design and construction, the head of which shall be the commissioner of design and construction."
- "NYC DDC: State of the Agency" (PDF). New York City Department of Design and Construction. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "New York City Department of Design & Construction - About". New York City Department of Design & Construction. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- "MAYOR GIULIANI APPOINTS LUIS M. TORMENTA, P.E. COMMISSIONER OF THE DEPARTMENT OF DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION". Archives of the Mayor's Press Office. 1996-08-10. Retrieved 2016-06-15.
- Written at Long Island City, New York. Building One City for You. 30-30 Thomson Ave. Long Island City, NY 11101: New York City Department of Design and Construction. 2015. pp. 10, 11, 12, 17.