New York City Department of Small Business Services
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Jurisdiction||New York City|
|Headquarters||110 William Street, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10038
The NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) is a department of the government of New York City that helps unlock economic potential and create economic security for all New Yorkers by connecting them to good jobs, creating stronger businesses, and building thriving neighborhoods across the five boroughs. Its regulations are compiled in title 66 of the New York City Rules.
SBS prepares and helps New Yorkers to find jobs by;
- Developing job search skills through resume and interviewing workshops
- Training local residents to acquire skills in growing fields
- Connecting jobseekers to employers with open positions.
Services are provided in all five boroughs through a network of 20 Workforce Career Centers
SBS helps businesses start, operate, and grow by:
- Helping minority and women-owned businesses (M/WBEs) get City-certified and compete for contracts
- Connecting entrepreneurs to free resources ranging from business courses to legal services
- Explaining government rules and regulations
- Helping entrepreneurs apply for funding to launch or grow a business
Support and resources are provided to entrepreneurs across the five boroughs through on-site consultations or in one of the city’s seven Business Solutions Centers.
SBS works with community-based organizations to build vibrant neighborhoods where New Yorkers can shop, work, and live by:
- Overseeing the largest network of Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) in the country, which delivers more than $134 million in additional services throughout the five boroughs
- Offering training, tools, and one-on-one assistance to local community-based organizations
- Administering grant programs to strengthen and revitalize commercial districts
- Working with community partners to identify local commercial district needs and plan targeted solutions
- New York City Charter § 1300; "There shall be a department of small business services, the head of which shall be the commissioner of small business services. The commissioner may appoint deputies within appropriations."
- Workforce Career Centers
- Get City-certified
- Business Courses
- NYC Business Solutions Centers
- Business Improvement Districts (BIDs)
- Training, Tools, and One-on-one Assistance
- Grant Programs