New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
On-Camera Acting School
|Motto||Developing Actors the Industry Wants To Work With Since 1980|
|Students||200 admitted per year|
The New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts (NYCDA) is a private acting college in New York City. Originally conceived for the purpose of training actors for film and television acting, in 2009 the conservatory gained accreditation to offer Associate degrees in Occupational Studies, a two-year curriculum offered in either Acting for Film & Television or Musical Theater Performance. The New York Conservatory is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST).
Actors in Advertising, which grew into the School for Film and Television (SFT) and later became the New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts (NYCDA), was founded in 1980 by the late Joan See, who was a student of Sanford Meisner. She also founded Three of Us Studios, a successful casting facility. She is the author of Acting in Commercials: A Guide to Auditioning and Performing On-Camera. See began her acting career more than 50 years ago, and appeared in more than 300 commercials. She worked with many actors, including Julia Roberts, Paul Newman and Eva Gabor. See also served as Vice President of the Screen Actors Guild New York City. Joan See passed away in April 2017.
1996 saw the accreditation of The New York Conservatory by the National Association of Schools of Theatre, and in 2013 the institution began granting an associate degree in Film & Television Performance. In 2017, The New York Conservatory gained accreditation to offer an associate degree in Musical Theater Performance.
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
NYCDA teaches the Meisner technique, pioneered by American master Sanford Meisner. The school offers two-year degrees, which require auditioning, and summer programs, for which auditioning is optional.
- Associate in Occupational Studies: Film and Television Performance
- Associate in Occupational Studies: Musical Theatre Performance
- Four-week summer programs worth 6 transferable credits
Notable students and alumni
- Jacob Batalon
- Ashleigh Murray
- Emma Bell
- Ser'Darius Blain
- Ryan Dorsey
- Shelley Hennig
- Vicky Jeudy
- Manish Dayal
- David Del Rio
- Reid Ewing
- Matthew Fox
- Zulay Henao
- Carolina Ravassa
- Alice St. Clair
- Josh Sussman
- Keith Collins
- Ashlynn Yennie
- "The New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts". National Association of Schools of Theatre. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- Grimes, William (13 April 2017). "Joan See, Who Acted in TV Ads and Helped Others Do That, Dies at 83". The New York Times. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- Acting in Commercials: A Guide to Auditioning and Performing On-Camera
- "Student Housing". New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Programs". New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Events". New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts. Retrieved 22 April 2019.